Chapter 25

Is that your fault, too?

Ace's words rattled around in Night's head. He was so stunned by them that he couldn't answer.

Into the shocked silence, Ace spoke, voice cracking, "Leave. I don't want you here."

The lump that grew in Night's throat threatened to choke him. Body stiff, he did an about-face and carried himself out through the door, planting himself in the waiting room. His throat eventually opened up, but his heart and spirit went numb.

Jane and Vicktor spent a long time examining and testing Ace's responses. Eventually, Jane came to speak with him. She didn't sugarcoat the diagnosis.

"He's paralyzed from the neck down. No motion and no feeling. It's the worst-case scenario."

Night stood and stepped toward the door, but Jane grabbed his arm. "He doesn't want to see you. I'm so sorry, Night. I can't let you back there."

He blinked, helpless. "But, he's my son."

"I know. Which is why I'm talking to you." She tugged on him gently, and he sat. "There's more. He's running a fever, and we don't know why. He doesn't seem to have an infection anywhere. Vicktor is speculating that he's on the verge of transitioning."

"What? So soon? Lassiter said he had about a year."

A knock on the door jamb got their attention. In the doorway stood Tarra with a Chosen whom Night recognized.

Night's heart skipped a beat at seeing Tarra, but his stomach fluttered when he recognized Jardine. "Jardine. It's been a long time."

Jardine stumbled as her hand flew to her head. Tarra helped stabilize her. "Yes, I can see what you mean about it being painful to remember," she said to Tarra. She took a few moments to gather herself. "Yes, it has been a long time, Night. I am here to help Mehnace."

"So, he is transitioning? Vicktor was right. I'll go and help." Jane hurried off, easing past Tarra and Jardine as she left.

Night stood again and offered the two seats to the Chosen. Jardine took one gratefully, but Tarra shook her head.

"I'm not staying. I just came with Jardine to help her get reacquainted. It can be an unusual experience." She turned to go.

"Wait!" Night took a step toward her. "Don't go. Please? I—I'm sorry."

Tarra sighed. "I know." She walked down the hall toward the elevators. Night stepped into the hall to watch her go.

"You two need to work things out, Night." Jardine encouraged. "She's been miserable."

"Misery doesn't equate to knowing what's good for her. I am not."

She rolled her eyes. "Yes, I can see why she's also angry. Whether you are or aren't good for her is her decision, not yours."

A flurry of voices down the hall caught their attention. Jardine squeezed past Night and hurried in that direction, leaving Night undecided about what to do. Ace's scream propelled him forward.

When he slipped into a corner of the room, he wasn't sure if Jane and Vicktor deliberately ignored him so that he could stay or if they simply didn't realize he was there. Either way, he was willing to take the opportunity their oversight gave him to witness his son's transition.

"We can't leave that brace on him!" Jane insisted.

"I know." Vicktor began to remove it. "But we need some way to stabilize his head." Vicktor rolled up the sheet that had been on Ace and deftly tucked it around his head and neck. "I think that's the best we can do."