Chapter 13

Hatrhed scowled as she closed the leather-bound book with reverence. Having read his story, she knew why Night had wanted to be Forgotten. She sighed and leaned back in the chair, the leather squeaking under her. "Jardine told me a century ago that I wouldn't forget Night again even when others did, by order of the Scribe Virgin. I didn't understand why at the time, but I haven't forgotten. But, what does Night's return have to do with me? I've kept his secret."

Lassiter put his sparkly Uggs on the table in exactly the same pose V had occupied the night before. Unlike with her Brother, it annoyed her to no end, but he either didn't care, or he did it on purpose just to get to her. No matter the reason, he was their spiritual—whatever he was—now, and it afforded him a little leeway. She huffed out a breath anyway.

"Wrath doesn't know he's coming back," the angel dropped.

Hatrhed's eyes went wide. "Wrath doesn't know? You might think about telling him."

Lassiter sipped at the beer Ehmily had brought him when he first arrived. "Yeah, about that. I thought you'd do it. Old friend and all that."

She let her head fall back to the headrest and sagged. "Damnit, Lassiter..."

"It's not likely to go well," he added. "Wrath hasn't completely worked his way through his issues with his parent's deaths."

"Dearest Scribe Virgin," Hatrhed swore under her breath. She didn't think she'd ever get out of the centuries-old habit of invoking the Mother. Besides, what was she supposed to swear on now? Lassiter's ass? "How pissed off is he going to be?"

The angel tipped up his beer again. "I don't know. Night is liable to beg forgiveness, even if he needs none. Maybe that will sway him to be compassionate?"

She barked out a laugh. "Wrath? Really?"

He picked at the label of his beer. "It's a long shot. But, you should take Night up there as soon as he gets here. Rip that bandaid off."

"Oh, for fuck's sake." She rubbed her temples. Damned angel. "Fine. I'll take him. When will he get here?"

Lassiter checked the diamond-encrusted monstrosity of a watch that appeared on his wrist before downing the rest of his beer. "'Bout ten minutes."

Hatrhed bolted upright. "What? Lassiter! What the fuck?"

"Hey, I have a job to do. Mehnace is going to transition, and soon. All this needs to be settled when that time rolls around."

With a grunt of frustration, she stood and downed the last of her whisky, which was a waste. Whisky of that quality should be savored. She set the tumbler down with a thud. "Does Wrath even know we're coming?"

"Nah. But he's not busy tonight. He can totally work you in."

"You're an ass. You know that?"

He grinned and winked at her. "Maybe, but you're stuck with me. How you like them apples?"

Hatrhed wondered what the consequences would be if she punched him. The thought was so tempting that she had to move away. "Well, come on. Let's let Ehmily know that we'll be having two more guests. She, at least, will be thrilled."

She tapped out a group text to her crew as they made their way down the side hall to the foyer.

Hatrhed: We've got incoming VIPs. I'm taking them to Wrath in fifteen. I'll explain the training meeting tomorrow night.

Kyle: You need me to escort them?

Hathred: No. Lassiter is bringing them.

Shocked texts and emojis of varying degrees raced in as she put her phone away.