Chapter 8

It took a hard-core biker to endure riding in the middle of February, and Rhet was just the male to step up. Not that he was much of a biker in the one-percenter kind of way. The last thing he needed in his life was outlaw shit. But "hard-core motorcycle enthusiast" sounded lame ass.

Tough male or not, he wasn't stupid, so when he straddled his 105 cubic inches, "built like rocks to take hard knocks," Indian Chief Roadmaster, he was prepared with heated riding gear, a balaclava face mask, and a Pinlock anti-fog face shield installed on his helmet. The ride wouldn't be long, about thirty minutes, but it was long enough to need the mid-layer when the temps hovered in the high thirties.

He hadn't been out to the farmhouse in a couple of weeks. After his best friend, Chesterfield, decided to meet the sun and pass unto the Fade, he'd taken a little staycation. He'd needed some time to wrap his head around Chester's suicide-by-fire choice and the guilt he couldn't seem to shake, Chester's declaration of love ringing in his head, and his own admission that it was unrequited.

Yes, he had cared deeply for Chester, and damned if he didn't enjoy their romps, but he wasn't in a place where he wanted to commit, get married, adopt kids, and all that. On the other hand, Chester had been ready for the white picket fence. He wasn't sure if shooting down Chester's proposal was why his best friend had taken his own life; the male had had issues stemming from a history of abuse, but Rhet just couldn't shake the idea. What was I supposed to do? Lie and lead the male on? So, yeah, a little time off had been warranted.

But now, Blade—wait, her name is Hatrhed now—was back from Caldwell, New York, with news of the Brother's training program. When the South Carolina Colony leader, a newly inducted Brother of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, invited you to dinner because you were tagged to upskill for Project Dead Lesser, you put your shit behind you and ponied up.

Settling on the heated seat of the Chief, he hit the magic button to start the beast of a machine before rocking it up off the stand. He enjoyed the rumbling of the motor as he walked it forward out of the garage before opening the throttle to head out to the road. And, just like he had the first time he rode her, he found himself smiling over how easy she was to handle.

Riding always soothed what ailed him. He'd done a lot of riding since Chester checked out. The ache in his heart hadn't eased much, but he'd gotten a little more used to it. He supposed that one day, it wouldn't hurt to breathe when he thought of the male who had accepted him from day one. He didn't remember much from his past or his early days at the colony, but he remembered Chester...

1910

Rhet fumed, nostrils flaring with each breath. He watched Jardine, frozen with indecision, look at his mahmen sitting on the stiff sofa and silently plead for a hint of what to do. His demand to be taken to the colony hung heavy in the air as he waited for their response.

He could see the pain his demand caused; great tears fell from the female who raised him but now felt like a total stranger. That she was a Chosen and his sire a Brother, Fallen or Forgotten regardless, and he didn't know? That they kept his identity and birthrights from him? He couldn't bear the thought of living with the deep-seated sense of betrayal he was feeling. Much better to forget now rather than later. His stomach churned as Fleur dropped her head into her hands and nodded ever so slightly.

Jardine frowned but turned to him anyway. "Very well. I will take you to the leader of the Sumter colony and help you find a place to stay."

Fleur sobbed, and Night moved from the chair where he'd collapsed to sit with her, wrapping his great arms around his shellan. He had no words, however, to offer, only guilt.