Chapter 19

"So," Rhet said, dematerializing on the other side of the bike, "why aren't you pissed about being lied to?" He felt a twinge of satisfaction when Ace jumped.

"I guess I understand where they were coming from? I know dad loves me, but he's got his own shit, you know?"

"Yeah, but look at you. You didn't get sent away."

Ace scowled and shoved his hands in his coat pockets. "Only because dad wanted to see if he could get to know you again. In the end, that's what motivated him to come back. You should give him a chance."

"Right. Sure." Rhet swung his leg over the bike and started her up. The seat was cold, but he didn't feel like letting it warm up before leaving. "Night and Fleur," he refused to be so familiar with them as using sire and mahmen, "lied to both of us. I didn't even know there were others like us until that Chosen showed up to help me transition. Then, they sent me away. Just discarded me. There's no forgiving that."

Ace shrugged. "Suit yourself. I think you're missing an opportunity to have family." He turned away and headed back to the house.

Rhet scowled. Ace's words had hit home; the worst thing about losing Chester was that he lost the only family he'd had.

 Ace's words had hit home; the worst thing about losing Chester was that he lost the only family he'd had

Night smiled when he saw Cathy walking toward him. She looked tired but comfortably dressed in a long bohemian skirt with boots and a fitted sweater. She brightened when she spotted him. She slipped into his arms with an easy familiarity, and they shared a kiss.

"You hungry?" he asked, his arms still wrapped around her.

"Yeah, but I'll just order some room service." She gave him a wry grin and leaned in close. "The question is, are you hungry?"

His cock twitched at the thought of her riding him. "I could eat."

"Good. Let's grab my luggage then."

The ride to the hotel in the compact rental car was an interesting juxtaposition of Cathy explaining what she had done so far and rubbing on Night's thigh, brushing against the bulge in his jeans. He happily squirmed under her touch as he reached to return the favor.

"The cabin is winterized and closed up for now. I hired Charlie's son from the hardware store to go and check things out once a week. He'll take photos and send them when he does." Her warm hand dipped between his thighs, tucking itself there as she rubbed her thumb to remind him she was still touching him. As if he'd forget.

"I've got an appointment this afternoon to see a few houses if you want to go with. They all have acreage, so there's some privacy, but I don't know what part of the city you want to be in."

"The farm is to the south. The west will be too close to the military base for my tastes... too much noise. So, I guess that means look south or east." He slid his hand between her legs, encouraging her to open for him. She did so with a happy hum.