Chapter 11: The Distraction

"Nick! Get up now!" Will yelled at me, but because I was half asleep, his voice was slightly muffled.

I was too tired to respond until he poured ice cold water from a cup on my face causing me to jolt awake.

"Hurry and get your suit on, we found a beam in the sky!" He quickly said, not explaining what this beam was or why it was important.

I didn't even bother to ask questions or object to it.

I pulled myself out of my bed and onto the floor, trying my hardest to fully awake, but was having trouble doing so.

I walked over to my suit/armor that was on the floor and noticed that there was an assault rifle next to the armor leaning up against the wall.

I bent down and picked up the armor and one by one put it on until I had it all on.

I then grabbed the rifle, left my room and headed toward the outside of the base, where the sun was beaming down on us.

Instead of a Sevac being parked outside it was a parked Refenon, or one of our specialized vehicles.

It was kinda like a military truck, except the top was somewhat opened.

Once outside Trey and Will stood beside me, we were all staring at the Refenon's.

"Well that's different." I pointed out.

"Yeah, but it'll work." Trey said.

"Was a Sevac too loud or something?" I asked.

"Yes, but it's also Mick's orders that we use Refornon's, so let's go." A guy said, walking out of the base and heading toward the drivers side.

"Who are you?" Will asked.

"Charles, I'll be your driver for this mission, and a part of the team for just this once." Charles said.

Charles had blonde hair and green eyes.

He opened the driver's side door and got inside, putting the key in the ignition and cranking the car engine.

The car made a loud noise as it turned on.

"Well, I guess it's time to get this mission started." Trey said, heading towards the back of the car.

Me and Trey followed him, and then we got inside of the Refenon and sat down, Trey and Will were in front of me.

Then Charles pressed down on the gas pedal and we drove off, toward the beam of light going up into the sky.

"So, Mick's not coming?" I asked.

"Nope, said he wanted to stay here for this mission. Not sure why though." Trey said.

"Maybe he doesn't feel like dying today." Will suggested.

"Lucky." I said.

Eventually we got to the base and stopped the car, Charles took the keys out of the ignition and turned off the car.

We all got out of the car and stepped foot on the gravel that surrounded the base.

The beam of light was just a beacon, no weapon, no destruction, just a beacon of light.

"Those sons of guns tricked us! This was just a distraction!" Trey yelled, furiously.

"Bingo! And y'all fell for the bait! Hook line and sinker!" A voice called out from a balcony high above us on the base.

We all quickly aimed our guns at him as we looked up.

"Who are you?!" Charles questioned.

"My name is Luke, who are y'all?" Luke replied.