15. It's Not Too Late

Clara wasn't going to reach out again nor was she going to answer. I knew that for a fact. I stormed up the steps and opened the door a bit too aggressively which made Florence jump.

"What's going on? Is everything alright?" she asked, her eyes wide. She was worried which made me take a step back and wonder how I looked to her. At first, I was fuming at being hung up on and then the anger just turned to despair. I thought she'd understand but she didn't. What can I do to change her mind? It was tough being far away. I'm sure if we met in person, I could convince her.

"Clara called me back when I stepped out to smoke. I tried to talk to her but it didn't work. She hung up on me. I need to look for flights to Portugal."

I was more determined than ever to meet her in person. All my doubts were gone as the adrenaline coursed through my veins. Florence peered over my shoulder when I was looking and saw that I was being serious. We flew into Porto last time but I wanted to fly into Lisbon this time and take the train down to Lagos. My options were limited as I was working with a strict time frame but the flight prices were decent.

"Do ya fancy flying out on Tuesday next week?" I asked, smirking. "Ask your manager and I'll buy the tickets."

-

Tuesday

Florence got approval for the time off so I booked our flight. It felt nice getting that out of the way but it also added to my workload. There was always the need to make sure everything was done on my end before leaving. I told Bondy and Larry how the phone call went and luckily they didn't tell me I've officially lost it by booking my flight on a whim without a plan whatsoever. Everything went out the door when Clara hung up on me. I was back at the beginning.

I was waiting for Florence to arrive for our session today. We had agreed to go under my dream and I was curious what I'd dream about since Clara was still very much on my mind. Everything was set up as I was a bit too eager to get started. I've been antsy all day and it was making the others uncomfortable because I couldn't sit still. There was a knock at the door and I practically shot up out of my seat.

"Hello," Florence said in a singsong voice. She leant in to kiss me on the cheek and walked past me to say hello to the others. Even though we live together, I still miss her and look forward to our sessions.

I let her make small talk with the others and I was suddenly not in a rush to start. It was nice seeing Bondy and Larry become more accepting of her. I remember when they first found it amusing that we didn't get along and now Florence is asking how their girlfriends are doing and how their weekend was. Florence gets on best with Bondy. They have the same sense of humor and are equally as crazy but Larry and Florence can chat all day as both are very talkative.

"We can talk after if you'd like," Bondy started, "but it looks like Van's waiting on ya." Bondy winked so I knew he was teasing and I didn't realize I was sitting on my desk with my arms crossed staring at them. Florence walked over to the setup and was surprised to see that everything was done. She smiled at me knowing I was eager to get started.

"Let's go then," she said, taking a seat.

-

Clara tucked her daughter in bed and leant in to kiss Mia on the forehead.

"Good night, Mia," she said softly. "Sweet dreams."

"Good night, mom. Can I ask you something?" Mia asked, hesitant.

"Yes, what is it, dear?"

"Have you ever dreamt about someone you don't know?" Her big, round eyes stared into hers.

"Of course. All the time. Dreams are strange like that. Why do you ask?"

"I keep dreaming about a man."