29. I'm Just Looking

I stood there re-reading the letter as if the words would start changing on their own accord but the message was still the same.

My mind's made up.

Once her mind's made up, there's no changing it. The both of us can be stubborn to a fault, but when we say we're doing something, we're doing it. All I could think about was Clara waking up knowing her life was going to change forever.

Did Rafael and Mia know what she planned to do? Based on what she wrote, it didn't seem like it as they were focused on making her feel special on her birthday. Clara is very good at hiding things. Although she seems passive on the outside, there's a lot going on in the inside. I was so caught up in my own thoughts that I didn't hear Florence slip into the flat. It wasn't until she dropped her boots that I heard her.

"Sorry!" she giggled and I immediately knew she was drunk. We have work tomorrow. How much has she had to drink?

"Are you drunk?" I asked slowly.

"Just a little." Florence made her way to the kitchen and had to lean against the wall to catch her balance. Once she recovered, she put her purse on the counter and went to fill a glass with water.

"How was your outing?" I questioned. She said they were eating dinner and going out for drinks but she said she'd only have one drink. It's quite obvious that wasn't one drink.

"It was great! Madelyn surprised us by saying she and her boyfriend are engaged!" she blurted out loud. She was grinning from ear to ear and you could see how happy she was. "Her ring is gorgeous! They picked it out together beforehand but the proposal was a surprise." I was stunned into silence as I was expecting her to say something else. A friend's engagement is a fair enough reason to get drunk.

"How did he propose?" I asked casually, trying to get ideas.

"They went on a hike and he proposed on a scenic lookout. She showed me pictures and it's beautiful up there." Fuck that, I'm not hiking. I went on a hike once ages ago and wasn't the least bit prepared. You're telling me people do this for fun?

Florence finished her glass of water and walked up to me, placing her hands on my face. They were cold so I shivered.

"How was your day?" she asked. Her pupils were dilated to the point her blue eyes were almost black. Her smudged makeup increased the intensity of her gaze and there was a hint of sin in her eyes. Her hands slowly lowered to my chest and I knew what she was thinking.

"I-It was good," I replied, losing my concentration. "I called my dad."

She managed to undo a button. "How's he doing?"

My heart rate picked up and I backed away without meaning to. My brain was telling me to go to bed but my heart was pounding with excitement. Only she can make me feel this way. Florence closed the gap between us and kissed me feverishly, her breath hot and her hands moving everywhere. She wrapped her legs around me and I carried her to our bed.

-

The shrill alarm caused me to wake up with a start. Poor Florence was sleeping on my chest and woke up.

"Morning," she whispered, smiling. She rolled onto her side of the bed so I could get up.

"Are you not going to work today?" I asked. She usually wakes up before I do so I know for a fact she's going to be late.

"I'm going to call out sick." She reached for her phone and drafted the email to send to her supervisor. I took the opportunity to sit up and grab a change of clothes to take to the bathroom. Despite going to bed later than planned, I felt well-rested and in a good mood.