22. The Life You've Always Wanted

I rushed towards Clara and luckily caught her on time but I was too close to the ground so I gently laid her down onto the floor. Her head lulled to the side as I tried my best to sit her up. Mia was paralyzed by fear and started crying for her mum.

"It's alright, Mia. She just passed out," I assured her even though I wasn't sure myself. My hand went to check if she was breathing and luckily she was. "Is there a place where she can lie down?"

Mia pointed towards the couch and I put one arm under her legs and the other behind her back, lifting her up. I tried my best to have her head rest on my chest and then I walked over to the couch. Mia was quick to clear the couch so I could lay her down gently. I tried my best to lay her in a comfortable position, making sure her dress wasn't wrinkled from under her. And that's when I got a good look at her.

I was brought back to the night she ate a pot brownie and how I had to carry her to the car. She still smelled of flowers and my eyes studied her face, as if drinking her in. I was afraid if I blinked, she'd disappear. My hand went to tuck her hair behind her ear and I felt a hand tap my shoulder. Mia was holding a pillow and blanket and I stepped back so she could get to work. I could smell something burning.

I quickly made my way to the kitchen and turned off the stove, taking the pan off the heat. Unfortunately, the chicken she was cooking was a little burnt on one side but still salvageable. I looked around frantically for a plate and used the spatula to scoop the chicken onto the plate and then opened the windows to let fresh air in.

It wasn't until then that I had a proper look around her house. The green tiles extended into the kitchen and brought a certain charm to the place. You could tell Clara spent a lot of time here because there was a lot of appliances and fine China but everything had a place.

"When is she going to wake up?"

I immediately turned around to see Mia standing in the doorway watching me. I was embarrassed at having been caught looking around but I couldn't help myself.

"Hopefully soon," I replied. I'd forgotten how long it's been since she's been out. It felt like ages. "Are you hungry?" Mia nodded her head and I went to work plating her food.

It took a while to figure out what Clara had prepared for dinner. The chicken was the main source of protein and I also saw that she had pasta and a white sauce prepared. Mia was quick to help set the table. I brought the plate over to her and she thanked me.

"Thank you. Aren't you going to eat?" she asked. She set utensils for three spots at the table but I just assumed it was for her and her parents.

"Maybe just a little."

I felt guilty inviting myself into her house and eating her food but I was starving having been out for most of the day. My helping was half the size of Mia's and she definitely took notice but didn't say anything.

"What time does your dad usually come home?" I asked after she had a few bites to eat.

"He gets off work at 11:30 PM and usually doesn't get home until midnight," she answered. Even though I knew the answer from Matilde, I felt relief wash through me knowing I still had time. There's no knowing when she'll wake up but I still had several days here.

"Does Clara—er—I mean your mum ever leave the house?" I questioned. The questions wouldn't stop coming. As soon as I asked one, another question came to mind.

"Not during the day but she goes out at night. One night, I went downstairs for a glass of water and she wasn't there."

"Where does she go?"

"To Ponta da Piedade. She loves it there."

Just like my dream. So at least that part is true but she wouldn't know about her laying flowers for someone who died in her place. She wouldn't know how often she thinks about her parents and her old life.