18. Who Do You Think You Are?

The nurse made her way towards her mum and it's like everyone held their breath waiting for the moment she woke up. She logged into the computer and checked to see that the information on the patient's bracelet matched the name on the medicine she was holding. Once confirmed, she scanned the bracelet and the medicine and administered it. The medicine was put in her IV and she asked us if we needed anything to which we said no.

Her sister and dad continued eating, taking advantage of the momentary distraction. It wasn't until they were almost done that they began talking.

"She's been suffering from a persistent cough and shortness of breath for a while but never said anything because it became normal for her. It wasn't until she lost her appetite and lost a lot of weight that we became concerned so we took her in. After several tests, we found out she has stage 4 lung cancer. It has unfortunately metastasized to her brain," her dad started. "The prognosis doesn't look good, especially since it has spread but we're maintaining hope and taking it one day at a time. She's receiving palliative care at the moment while we try to figure out the best treatment for her. They're giving her less than a year to live. That's why she wants to see Florence again."

Florence's eyes were downcast and she nodded her head at every word. My guess is that it's not her first time hearing this and that her sister told her beforehand but it was my first time hearing about it. I felt terrible not knowing she was carrying this weight the whole time. She didn't say anything to me!

"I know we haven't been the best parents to you but thank you for showing up and for buying us dinner. We'd really like to make things up to you but understand if you want nothing to do with us anymore," her dad continued. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem like her dad was the problem—it was more her mum.

"You're welcome," Florence replied. She didn't address the other half of what he said. "So how have things been? Y'know...besides this."

"What do you want to know? We still live in the same house. Your sister lives with her husband and your mom and I are retired."

I didn't realize her sister was married but now that I see her hand, there was a large diamond ring on it. Florence really is living in her sister's shadow. Hannah was her parents' favorite and I'm sure she's married to someone her parents approve of.

Florence missed 10 years worth of stuff and her dad summarized it in three sentences as if it was nothing. Nowhere did he mention the pain of losing one of their children and the impact it had on them. Either he's wary of scaring Florence with the details or they're not truly sorry for what they've done.

"I can't believe you were still there all along," Florence replied, the shock evident in her tone.

"Well if we moved, how would you find us?" her dad asked back. "You never tried to find us, did you?" Florence shook her head to confirm and you could see the slight disappointment in his eyes. "How have you been after all this time?"

"I've been alright. The first few years were rough as I didn't have a place to stay so I was couch surfing. And then I got a job, worked hard, and saved enough for a more permanent place. I can finally say I'm happy with where I am right now."

Florence was more honest about how things were than her dad, and I applaud her for embracing it rather than trying to hide it. The most beautiful thing was how those difficulties shaped who she is today and she's grown as a person. Looking at her, you wouldn't know how much she's been through.

"Who're you talking to?" We all turned to face her mum who was blinking the sleep from her eyes. She tried to sit up and Hannah quickly went to help her.

"Lay back down so I can raise the bed," Hannah told her. She grabbed the remote and carefully raised the bed until her mum was sitting upright. Hannah made sure she was comfortable before stepping away. Her mum's dark eyes glared at the two strangers in the room.