Chapter 5

"Ma, did you hear? The U.A. festival is about to start! I can finally sell my own self-made products!" exclaimed a teenager no older than 15. A visible shine on his eyes was evident.

He had short black hair, dull brown eyes, and a skinny figure. He lived with his mother in an apartment where rent was low but the surroundings were rather tarnished. They lack electricity since they're unable to pay for their electric bills, and they don't have any water since the faucet is rusty and broken as well the fact that they lack the money to pay their water bills, and they wore the same clothes every day since they can't afford any, which eventually led them to rock bottom. If there was a triangle based on what social class they were in, they'd be at the very bottom of that representation. The very, very bottom. The poorest of the poor. Albeit he lives inside a rusty ol' dirty box filled with the sins of the past and the curses of the present, he'd still call it home no matter what.

His mother, a skinny woman with strands of gray hair, dull brown eyes, and a ragged and worn-out dress no older than 45 smiled somberly at her son. "I'm sorry...I don't think they'll accept any strangers in their school to sell at this time...It's all because of that villain attack that happened months ago."

Then the shimmer in the teenager's eyes dissipated as quickly as it appeared. The boy's head drooped down facing the broken deck. A sudden aura from this boy enveloped the entire unit, every corner, every inch, every spec of dust gets trapped as it happens.

His mother quickly noticed this. 

"B-But don't worry! You can sell your products maybe just outside of U.A! I'm sure a lot of people will buy...!" the mother quickly reiterated out of pure instinct.

As quickly as the boy beamed from his mother's reassurance, the aura faded away. "R-Right! T-That works too!" the thankful boy said, hugging his mother. "You're so smart as usual!"

The latter chuckled and smiled as she hugged him back. "No problem, sweetie. Now go, start your business."

"Thanks mom! Love you!" 

"Love you too, honey."

With that, the boy grabbed the pouch that lay in the corner of their unit and stormed off, leaving his mother with a wide smile.

The mother on the other hand, still with a fixed smile, immediately faded away. All that was left now was a dead expression, her eyes half open and her lips on a neutral straight line.

She stood up, left her unit, then her apartment, walked past 7 other buildings, and trudged into an alleyway on her left where she met a man in a trenchcoat. The transition was clear as she walked past certain areas. The more she trailed off, the more the poverty-stricken area was being exposed. The homeless are becoming more often spotted, plastic bags flew from one area to another, a mother begged on the sidewalk for medicine in order to save her dying baby, and a dead body just laying there on the sidewalk as men and women passed by as the said corpse's flesh was being torn away by rats. The said alleyway was dark, very dark. It was like walking down a path without any source of light at all. All one could see was nothing but pitch darkness.

It was that man's quirk.