Best Friends with Benefits #5: Too Much To Handle

Corrine's pov:

The next morning

I was going crazy thinking of how to face him. It shouldn't be a big deal at all, but I couldn't get over how he'd just left without an explanation after taking things so far. I didn't know why, but I wouldn't be able to handle it if he only did it because he had some anger to vent when every moment meant so much to me.

Why am I wishing for it to be more? Lust is all there is to the deal in the first place!

When the doorbell rang, I was so engrossed in my frustration that I didn't think twice to answer the door.

And there he was, looking painfully gorgeous as he stood there by the door, holding his jacket in one hand.

I was so shocked and flustered that I nearly slammed the door on him, but he blocked it with his hand. "Please, we need to talk."

"Do we?" I folded my arms, stepping back as he entered.

"Yes." Wait, he's still wearing his clothes from yesterday and there are dark circles under his eyes, as if he'd hardly slept. Did he not go home last night? And why is he panting? Did he run here or something? "I... I want to apologise for last night. I'm sorry I went so far, I promised not to take things to the bed. I was... I was upset because..."

I held my breath as I anticipated his answer. "Because?"

I'd never seen him struggle to speak like this before. He looked so frustrated. He shook his head. "Never mind, that's not important. I promise you, it won't happen again. Are you okay? Did I... scare you last night?"

I felt my heart drop. Not important? It won't happen again? Seriously? I want to push him for an answer, but I can't even do that because it shouldn't even matter that much to me! I put on a smile. "No, not really. Why wouldn't I be okay? Like you said, it's not important at all. We're both adults, I understand if you lost control for a bit or just needed to relieve your emotions."

"That's not it, I-"

"It's okay, really. It was nothing at all. We can just move on."

He stared at me for a moment. "Are you serious? Nothing? That's how much last night meant to you?"

Why is he getting upset when he's the one who did all that to me?

"Didn't you say I made you feel good?" He pushed, which made me speechless. Why did he just ask so blatantly and why does it matter to him?

I gritted my teeth, trying to keep my cool. "I just nodded because I was too tired to answer." Lies, all lies. He drove me past the fucking edge yesterday.

He stepped closer, his eyes dark with fury and his tone challenging as he spoke. "That's not what you said when you were moaning my name in bed last night."