Chapter 25-Holding Italy

June 30th, 1942, 12:00 pm

Italy's border with Germany

Nazi Side POV

In the cover of darkness, Nazi troops, tanks, and AFV were moving into Italy. The traitors must be destroyed was the thought of Hitler as he sent his troops to teach a lesson to the Italians, he would soon find it to be a fatal mistake.

As the troops walk across the Italian border, they face a barrage of bullets, soon many of the Nazi soldiers that were not in the AFVs, or tanks were run down. However, before the tanks and the rest of the troops could react, they were blown up by hidden explosives. All of this happened in just 10 seconds, with the cuprite escaping before the Nazi troops behind the slaughter troops and destroyed tanks and AFVs could even realize what was happening. 

3rd Person

The culprits behind this act escaped, this was Harley Theo and the rest of his CIA team along with some people from the resistance. They were there to slow down the Nazi advance toward Italy as some time was needed before the proper defensive measures could be created. All along the Italian-German border, this was happening with the Airforce helping out by bombing the border.

The US luckily broke the Nazis' secret code a long time ago allowing them to find out where all of the Nazis were going to advance from. Of course, not all Nazis commanders were stupid and some of them deviated from their orders and advanced in places that they, the CIA, special forces, resistance, and the air force didn't know about. This was why the allied forces that were defending Italy 50 miles behind the border were alert and ready for any attack. They luckily had an advantage, night vision goggles. With this modern technology, they were able to attack the Germans without the enemy knowing where they are until too late.

July 1st, 1942, 6:00 am

Italian frontlines, 50 miles away from the Italian-German border

3rd Person

As the sunrise, fighting was heard all across the front lines of the Italian front against the Americans and the Nazis, this was the second time other than the African front that there was land combat between these two adversaries. This was also the first time that casualties of more than 1,000 on the American side were reported. In the African campaign, there were minimum casualties with the battles mostly fought with tanks and AFVs where the Americans were protected, but now they were not. There was also the fact that in the African campaign, the Nazis had many issues because of the supply ships getting blown up by American submarines, and ally ships while here the Nazis were almost at full strength because they were so close to their homeland.

Of course, casualties don't mean death with the first actual reported death happening to the Americans on the Italian front. The Americans soon realized that this was going to be a very bloody front. 

The generals planned for this, but to minimize casualties they decided to move only after the Air force completely layers the area with explosives, they were not going to do it with guided bombs which were too expensive, instead, they were going to use unguided bombs. They put this task of carpet bombing to the super hornets and the many bombers from their allies to their B-52s, while to protect these planes they would use air to air super hornets, the F-15EX, the F-35s, and F-22s. The legendary A-10 and AC-130 or angel of death would also be supporting the troops. 

Also, on the ground, more and more troops were coming in, now with heavier Abrams tanks and also the new railgun tanks that Jimmie Oswald had just made. Artillery and SAM systems were also brought in to support the ground and air war. The Navy was also a part of this with tomahawk cruise missiles launched from these ships to destroy highly valued targets. This front would soon face the true power of combined arms warfare from the United States military.

July 1st, 1942, 6:00 am

Italian frontlines, 50 miles away from the Italian-German border

Kaison Melville

I was riding the new railgun tank, I wonder who was smart enough to build this but when I asked my superiors, they told me to just go with it as even they didn't know. Right now, I was fighting the Nazis in the frontline, I had to work overtime as it felt like at every minute there was a new tank or AFV that we have to take care of, they were almost like an endless horde of zombies, charging towards their deaths of superior enemies just so they can kill one, however, unlike a horde of endless zombies they can't infect you and they were not unlimited as soon there was the sound of the silence that befalls this bloody battle.

Around the tank I was in was a squad of soldiers that were fighting with us, while we took care of the heavy armor and AFV, they fought with the poorly trained Nazi troops, as they were wildly inaccurate. 

"Wow, silence at last," said one of my crew, the confidence was high for him as he thought they had just won.

"Shush, you will Jinx us," I said back but it was too late, soon 10 tanks, all tigers came in sight, they couldn't fire from long distances because of the environment and had to face these sudden encounters, however, the new railgun tanks had even more advance protection that was 10 times stronger than even the Abrams and so they could be protected, but the soldiers that were outside were not protected. Melville, not wanting to see any of his companions die in battle quickly took action, with every command he gave it was done and soon his tank began firing.  

But I knew my efforts were not going to be enough till the savior appeared in the sky, it was an A-10, and it was luckily never decommissioned from service yet when the time travel happened, and when it did, the A-10 was worth 10 times more than an F-22 as it was better suited for this type of fighting. It was invaluable in the African campaign shortening it by at least a month of more fighting.

It launched its unguided rockets toward the tanks and soon they were all destroyed. I smiled as I looked at the A-10, although I knew about the countless causalities in the war, some people may never see their loved ones ever again, I knew that if we could win this war, we could change the world as in this time there was no global warming which in their time was going to do some serious damages even with the green energy efforts of the world. There was also no threat of MAD as they were the only ones with ICBMs, and we could make sure that no one else could make it. I hope for the best future for mankind, and finally, become a species that doesn't have to fight anymore, possible with the technology that we have.