11d - Returning the Confession: Yotsuba

It was official: (Y/N) was going to return the confession. He had thought about it long and hard and figured this was the best time and place to do it. What's more romantic than confessing while on a school trip?

(Y/N) was hyping himself up as he ascended the stairs with the Quints. It was a big deal; since she was the one who first confessed, there was no chance of (Y/N) getting rejected, meaning he was guaranteed a girlfriend.

Ichika leaned toward (Y/N) and stared into his eyes. "Something on your mind, (Y/N)-kun?"

He switched his gaze from the stairs to Ichika. "I, um, yeah, I'm good."

"Remember when I told you my plan?"

"I do."

"..."

"Where were you going with this?"

"I dunno, just wanted to see if you, too, had something planned for someone."

"Maybe."

"Maybe? Oooo, (Y/N)-kun's gonna confess~!"

"Well, don't be loud about it."

She gasped. "W–Wait, you're serious? I was just joking...!"

(Y/N) smiled at Ichika. "You wanna know who?"

"Is it Yotsuba?"

"How did you know?!"

"I–... She came to me asking for help with her confession."

"Oh, did she?"

"Yeah, and good that she did" – Ichika laughed – "'cause she doesn't know much about love at all."

(Y/N) chuckled. "I see."

"Yo, doofs!" Nino called after them. "Hurry up!" Ichika and (Y/N) had lagged a bit behind the others without realizing it. They sped up to meet them.

~ + ~

Four thousand six hundred and twenty-five gates later, the six reached the top. They sat at a conveniently located bench, next to a sign that read, "Congratulations on reaching the top!" as well as some historical details about Fushimi Inari.

After a few minutes of sitting, Yotsuba tapped (Y/N)'s shoulder.

"(L/N)-san?"

He turned to her. "Yeah?"

"Can I talk to you in private for a moment?"

Hm? What could she want to talk to me about? He was confused but agreed nonetheless.

Yotsuba led him to behind a nearby shack occupied by a fortune slip-reading shrine maiden.

"What's up?" he asked.

"I was just wondering... That day when I shared my feelings at the café... Have you given it any thought?"

"I have."

"...and...?"

"I..."

Meanwhile, the other Quints approached the maiden with the intention of hiding in the shack. Why? Listening to Yotsuba's confession being returned, of course; they had heard of her feelings for (Y/N) and were eagerly attending his response alongside her.

"Hey, you," Nino called to the maiden.

The maiden, who was looking down at the desk before her, raised her head to meet Nino. "Hey! What may I help you with?"

"Let us–..." Nino stopped herself to change to a kinder tone, hoping for better chances. "May we stay in your shack for a few minutes?"

"It's not a shack...," the maiden said under her breath.

Nino, seeing she wasn't convinced, continued: "It's for an important matter."

"Must you right now? Loitering strangers discourage business."

"Yes, please."

The maiden nodded. "Fine. But you must take a slip."

Nino nodded vigorously, trying to speed up the process. At this rate, we won't get in until the sun sets!

The maiden offered Nino three slips, from which Nino took the middle one. She turned it over in her hands, gazing at its intricacy.

"Have you never done this before?"

"I have, a while ago."

"Then what are you waiting for?"

"Hm?"

"Give me the bamboo slip."

Nino gave it back impatiently.

After a few seconds of seeing and looking at a piece of paper, the maiden recited: "Great fortune: you will experience great fortune in the near future. You might find a surprise waiting for you. Congratulations!"

"Great, thank you."

"You may enter the 'shack' now."

"Thank you!" Nino dashed through the door, opened behind the maiden, followed by the others.

Because it would be awkward if they missed it, they arrived just in time to hear (Y/N) say the magic words.

"I..."

"Come on, (L/N)-san, just tell me!"

(Y/N) smiled. "I accept your confession, Yotsuba."

Yotsuba sprang forward and pulled (Y/N) into a tight hug. The Quints in the shack quietly clapped for the now-couple.

After some seconds and a stifled tear, (Y/N) took Yotsuba and held her at arm's length, just looking at her for a few more seconds.

She looked at him bashfully. "Do we... kiss?"

Nino appeared out of nowhere and put her arm between the two. "Nuh-uh. That's where I draw the line." Knowing where this was going, she preemptively left the shack to stop further advancements.

"Wh– Nino!? You were watching?!"

"Maybe I was... That's beside the point. You two'll have to stop there."

"Nino..." (Y/N) shook his head, when suddenly...

"Nino." Yotsuba looked at her firmly. "I always appreciate you looking out for me and our other sisters. But, this time... I would like it even more if you could let me do what I want to do! This is for the good of all of us; you wouldn't want to hurt us by stopping it... would you?"

Nino, now bright red from being called out, shook her head without a verbal response.

"Great!" Yotsuba smiled and gestured for Nino to leave.

Nino, still flustered, left in a hurry.

"Now..." (Y/N) turned back to Yotsuba. "Where were we?"

Yotsuba — who was mildly annoyed and embarrassed that they were interrupted but quickly recovered — turned to (Y/N) with glistening eyes.

With a sudden but gentle passion, the two pulled each other into a deep kiss.