01. numb

i. numb

"Mom, I don't want to drive."

"C'mon, Grey. You can do it, driving is easy. Your dads agree with me."

"I...I just have a bad feeling about this, I-I don't know what it is."

"Pish posh, you must learn to drive someday, Grey. I want to be the one to teach you. Ready?"

"...I guess."

"March 17th 2022 was the one day I should have really learned to trust my instincts. It cost me the most important person in my life. She was gone, and she was never coming back, nor would my unborn brother.

It was all my fault, and I wasn't the only one to think that.

Wishing I was the who died, instead of them, was something I wished and prayed for every single day. So far, my wishes hadn't come true. Most people would think me selfish, wanting to die just for the pain and suffering to end, but I was the one who ruined our family.

I deserved it.

The house had grown so cold and lifeless it was like Mom never existed. No pictures of her were on the wall, or the mantle. Every reminder of her was locked away in the attic.

No one entered that place anymore.

My dads have been taking more academy related jobs to keep busy, and to stay away from here.

Away from me.

I couldn't blame them for that."

Dropping the pen down on the desk, I pushed myself up on my feet, and stumbled to the window, peering down into the outside world.

So, I was here. Completely alone. In all honesty, I don't remember the last time I had stepped out of my house.

I had graduated. I was doing online college classes, majoring in linguistics. There was no reason to go out into the world after I had pushed away my best and only friend in the world.