13.

*skip to Sunday, arsenal vs Aston Villa*

I am in the changing rooms getting ready for the game. I put my match kit on with music blaring through the speakers in the background. I put my socks on and take my shin pads to the subs bench with me, where I am given a warm black coat to put on. I sit down next to lotte wubben moy, someone who I've become close to recently. We chat a bit about the game and other things and before I know it the teams come out of the tunnel and the game gets underway.

KICK OFF : Arsenal vs Aston Villa

5' 🟥 GOAL - Kim little (penalty)
15' 🟪 GOAL - Kenza Dali

HALF TIME : 1-1

As we head back into the changing rooms the emotions are mixed. We haven't played badly, not at all, but we all know we can do better. We aren't playing our best and if we don't fix things quickly, we could end up losing this game easily.
"Girls, keep pushing and keep trying. Their defence is strong, but we just have to keep trying to find a way in and keep being patient. We have to be clinical and take our chances." Jonas says standing in the middle of the room. "Now subs, I want Stina blackstenius to come off for Gio and i want Caitlin foord to come off for Ellie Lewis. Well done girls you've played really well, we just need some fresh legs. Other than that, keep it up girls well done"
Me? Did he just say my name? I'm coming on? This feels so surreal. My whole life I've been dreaming of this moment and now it's actually happening. I can't believe it.

I am brought back from my thoughts by Leah picking me up and hugging me tightly.
"Proud of you kid!" She says putting me down but keeping one arm around my shoulders.
"Thanks." I say, not able to stop smiling.
"Come on, we've got a game to play" she squeezes my shoulder before we walk back out to the pitch together. I go to the subs bench and quickly slip my shin pads into my socks, eager to get on the field and play. And sure enough I do; the assistant ref holds up the board and it has number 19 in red and number 4 in green. I'm so excited to get on the pitch the the ref has to put her arm in front of me so that I don't run into the pitch before Caitlin comes off. She walks over and the crowd applaud her.
"You got this kid" she says in my ear as she hugs me and walks over to Jonas.

Then I step into the pitch and, as soon as my foot hits the grass, for the first time everything just feels right. I really feel like I belong here.

The ref blows her whistle and the second half starts, adrenaline pumping throughout my body

49' 🟪 GOAL - Rachel Daly

Shit. The half has only just started and we've conceded. To be fair, Daly's goal was spectacular; a shot from outside the box curled nicely into the top corner of the goal, our keeper being able to do nothing but watch in awe.
"Girls come on, keep our heads up, we're still in this" Leah shouts, collecting the ball from the net and throwing it towards the centre circle. Everyone listens to her and some other girls say some words of encouragement too. Then the ref blows her whistle for the second time and we go again, but this time we seem stronger and more confident.

53' 🟥 GOAL - Frida L.Maanum

I run over to frida and the rest of the girls. We all hug each other and congratulate frida, but we know we're not done yet. We've salvaged a point at least, but that isn't enough. We're not finished until we come away with all 3 points and we aren't settling for anything less than that. The ball gets planted down on the ground by an Aston Villa player and then it's kick off number 3.

Half an hour of so later, I'm running down the right with the ball with options behind me and in the middle. I play a ball to Kim little in the midfield and then make a run in front of her and ask for it back. She does so and I once again have the ball at my feet, a lot closer to goal now. I dribble at such speed no defender wants to come near me or put a challenge in. I manage to get past 2 defenders so that I'm 1 on 1 with the keeper. I swerve side to side throwing her off balance and I send her the wrong way. I've got an open goal in front of me now.

86' 🟥 GOAL - Elenor Lewis

I run to the corner and jump and punch the air, as the team start piling in and hugging my me. Last to come over is Leah, who just grins at me and hugs me so tightly I almost can't breathe.
"I'm so so proud of you." she whispers in my ear.

We manage to just keep possession and retain the ball for the last few minutes and then the ref blows her whistle for the last time.

FULL TIME : Arsenal 3 - 2 Aston Villa

I jump up and down and immediately run over to Leah. She picks me up and spins me around. I lean my head on her shoulder and let a few silent tears of happiness fall down my cheeks. When Leah puts me down I smile at her from ear to ear and she wraps her arms around me in a big bear hug. When we finally let go, she points to the crowd.
"Everyone's over there. Your parents, your grandparents, your siblings, Luke, Ruby..they're all there." She says wiping a tear from my cheek. I smile at her before running over to see them.