Chapter 17, First day of term

Summer passed by quickly. Fig couldn't stay long, he was only there a few days before he got a bit restless and went back to his professor duties, not that he didn't send owls every once in a while.
Elizabeth, after giving names on the dark wizards she knew was guilty of the unforgivable curses, along side proof and names, was given a pardon. Not that they didn't threaten they'd watch her closely.
It turned out Sara was in fact a squib, but Elizabeth was friends with her sister before her parents decided she wasn't pureblood enough.
Sara admitted to having been shocked to receive Elizabeth's letter, but quickly found you before anything could happen.
Your wizard father was put in Azkaban, probably near Ominis's parent's cell. And though the rest of the Gaunts we're furious about the fact that Ominis was involved in the capture, they didn't retaliate and merely informed him that they don't consider him family anymore.
Not that it bothered him, he could live his life without them. Having the imagined protection of the Ministry and Hogwart's teachers had it's benefits.
The Sallow twins grew closer than you'd ever seen, Anne looked as healthy as Sebastian and though she did still miss her uncle at times, she couldn't forgive him for what he put her brother through.
They were finally getting back to how they used to be, you could tell by the way Sebastian and Ominis smiled.
There were a couple times when you felt like a fourth wheel and stepped back to let them have their time, but as if sensing your mood shift, Ominis would always bring you back into it or move closer to tell you embarrassing stories about them until they'd over hear and scold him.
The relationship between you and Ominis only grew stronger as the summer went on, even if he was embarrassed often by Sebastian teasing you two about it.
Anne squeaked happily, pulling you out of your daydream, as she practically raced through Diagon Alley with Sebastian in tow.
"They're going to be up to no good before we even reach the school gates," Ominis mumbled from beside you.
"At least they keep it interesting," you replied, bumping his shoulder with yours.
"Too interesting sometimes."
"Oh, my goodness they're cute!" Your mom said moving to the animal shop after giving you and Ominis a heart attack.
Elizabeth chuckled as she moved over to keep her from buying all of the animals she saw.
"So, did you get everything you needed for this year?" You asked, already pulling your list from your pocket to check it again.
"Yes, I managed to grab everything while Sebastian and Anne dragged me around as if we haven't been here a hundred times."
Smiling, you glanced his way, seeing him focusing like he was trying to find them in the large crowd.
"They went into the joke shop," you mentioned, earning a heavy sigh.
"I swear, I'm going to need to tie them to something," he mumbled, getting you to laugh.
"Tie bells to them so they sound like reindeer as they run."
He snickered, before his hand slipped into yours, pulling you further into the crowd.
"Where are we going?"
He didn't answer, too busy keeping from colliding into people, at least until we ended up finding Professor Fig.
"Ah, I thought that was you," Ominis teased as Fig chuckled.
"Just getting some last minute things before the start of term," he mentioned, smiling at both of you. "Anything I should know about?"
Nodding you motioned behind you. "I'd avoid Sebastian and Anne, they're in Zonko's and who knows what they have up their sleeves now."
He hummed in thought for a second, before he nodded. "An excellent idea, though I am in a little rush, but it was good to see you both."
You cocked your head as he moved passed you. "Do you get the feeling that everyone is purposely avoiding us?"
Shaking his head, he turned towards you. "I'm sure they're just busy and excited. It's only a few days before we go back to Hogwarts."
Settling for that being the reason, you smiled. "Anne was pretty enthusiastic to be in her robes again, she went to sleep smiling."
Ominis chuckled. "She does know she has extensive exams because she missed them last year."
"Ah, let her enjoy it before you crush her with homework," you teased, squeezing his hand.
"For Merlin's sake, it's like you're married and talking about your child."
You looked over seeing Sebastian staring at you two in disbelief as Anne whacked him on the shoulder. "Forgive my bone-headed brother, he's never had a girlfriend and doesn't understand the concept."
"I beg your pardon, I've had girlfriends before."
Ominis's brows bunched. "I'm quite sure your longest lasting relationship, outside of the three of us, is with Madam Scribner."
You and Anne completely lost it as Sebastian pouted for a second before pulling Ominis away, complaining about how he was supposed to be on his side.
"Man, that was a good one," you whispered, wiping a tear from the corner of your eye.
"You rubbed off on him," she teased, before she looped an arm through yours and began down the street.
"I'm pretty sure he's had that before I came into the picture, but I'm more concerned about what you and Sebastian are planning."
She fixed her expression to look innocent. "We're not planning anything, we're just getting a few things to make life at school interesting."
Snickering, you nodded. "You two are going to get enough detentions that you'll still be there long after you graduate, aren't you?"
She grinned, unabashed. "The two of us? You and Ominis are part of this too. I mean, it's not going to be as eventful as your last year, but we'll make do."
Laughing, she bumped into you playfully. "I never really thanked you for watching out for the both of them. You and Ominis are practically tied at the hip lately." She was satisfied with you blushing, so she pressed on. "I don't know where'd Sebastian and I would be if you hadn't found out the truth and convinced me to come back. So, thank you. And for taking that curse out also. I think Sebastian and I would be dead right now if it wasn't for you."
"No, you two are stronger and smarter than you think. I'm sure Sebastian would have found another way to help you."
She smiled as she patted my wrist. "Seeing as you're not going to accept my compliments," she said, narrowing her eyes teasingly. "Just know that we really do appreciate what you've done for us."
"Well, to be fair. If it wasn't for either of them, I'm pretty sure things would have ended up differently too."
She smiled as our attention was drawn to the chaos of the crowd, just staring as people went by.