Chapter 1 ~ An Innocent Wish

Ryleigh's POV:

"RYLEIGH! I TOLD YOU TO EMPTY THE TRASH CAN THREE HOURS AGO! GET IN HERE NOW!" My mom screamed at me from the kitchen.

Annoyed, I stood up from the couch and walked to the kitchen where my mom stood by the sink, looking at me with hate in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, mom. I was busy doing homework and I forgot" I said timidly, afraid that she would keep screaming.

"SORRY ISN'T GOING TO CUT IT. THIS IS THE FOURTH TIME THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED. WHEN I ASK YOU TO DO SOMETHING, YOU SURE AS HELL BETTER DO IT! YOU'VE LOST YOUR PHONE FOR A WEEK!" My mom yelled. I reached into my pocket and reluctantly gave her my phone, my hand trembling.

When my dad first left nearly five years ago, she barely left the house except for work. I always had to be the one to stay strong, because if I wasn't, she would probably die of a panic attack. Because of this, I never cried in public, not wanting to humiliate myself. My friend, Katelyn, would be the only one that would defend me if I ever did. She was my only true friend, the one who would always be there to talk to me.

After I handed my mom my phone, I took out the trash and ran upstairs to my room, trying not to have a meltdown. I curled up in my bed and started sobbing; my life was too much to handle. I shakily grabbed my iPad from my nightstand, texting Katelyn and asking if she could come over. My mom always treated her like a princess, so if she came over there shouldn't be any problems.

Me: Hey. Could you please come over? My mom is yelling again.

K: Of course! I'll be right there. Stay strong! J

I sighed and laid back on my bed, staring at the ceiling and trying to prevent more tears from streaming down my face. A few minutes later, I heard a knock on the door downstairs and figured that it was Katelyn. I creeped halfway down the stairs so I could see and hear my mom chatting with her. It made me sick to think that my mom would treat my best friend like an angel, but treat her own daughter like dirt. Since my mom wasn't facing towards me, I flashed my hands in an SOS signal to Katelyn. Katelyn smiled and started walking towards the stairs, and I stalked back up to my room. I plopped down on the bed and a few seconds later Katelyn was walking into my room. "Thanks for coming" I sighed, and she sat down next to me.

"No problem. Are you feeling better?" She replied kindly.

"A little. Can we watch Phantom? That always makes me feel better."

"I'm always fine with Phantom. 25th or 2004?"

"25th.The 2004 one was just...eh" I said. It was good, just not my favorite.

"Wise choice. Patrick Wilson needed to cut his hair" Katelyn said, grabbing my remote and pulling up the Phantom 25th Anniversary on Netflix.

"Yes, yes he did" I replied, giggling slightly.

Once the movie/musical started, we both watched the small TV screen intently, all the while adding our own commentary. During "Music of the Night," we both ranted about how we wished that we had an Angel of Music. When bows finally ended and they started all of the fancy anniversary stuff, we turned the TV off.

"I forgot how much I love watching Phantom" Katelyn replied tiredly.

"Me, too. What time is it?" I asked, yawning.

"2:05 AM. We should probably go to bed" she sighed. We then fixed the blankets and both crawled under them.

"I wish I had an Angel of Music" I whispered, more to myself than to Katelyn, before I fell into a sweet slumber.