Chapter 14 ~ Christine's Revenge

Ryleigh's POV
I woke up later that day, still curled up in Erik's arms. I adjusted my position slightly so that I could look up, and I saw that Erik was smiling down at me, his fingers softly touching my hair. I smiled back at him. "You could've just woken me up if you needed to move, I wouldn't mind" I said, giggling a little.

"I didn't want to wake you up, you looked exhausted. Besides, you look so beautiful and peaceful when you're asleep" he smiled down at me.

"Thank you" I replied softly, blushing slightly. "I love you so much" I told him, sitting up so that I could kiss him. Our lips met, sending those familiar sparks that I loved so much flying throughout my body. We probably would have stayed there all day, had we not been interrupted. I heard someone cough, and we both pulled away in shock. It was Christine.

"Well, well, well. I'm glad to see that you two are having fun" she said sarcastically.

"What do you want?" Erik asked, sounding rather annoyed. I squeezed his hand reassuringly, also trying to tell him to stay cool.

"You. That's what I want. But since I obviously can't get that, I guess that it's only fair that she doesn't get you either" Christine said, putting emphasis on the word 'she' as she pointed to me.

"W-what do you-" I started to say, but froze as she pulled out a gun and pointed it at Erik. He stood up and shoved me behind him, my heartbeat rapidly speeding up.

"Christine, please..." I tried to beg.

"Shut up, Ryleigh! You think you're some princess that can get whatever she wants, huh? Well, guess what, there are dreams that cannot be!" She sneered, an insane kind of fire in her eyes.

"Christine, I know better than anyone how horrible life is! My mother treats me like an idiot, my father is in prison, and my family has no money! But there's a phrase that I've heard before, and I believe with all of my heart that it's true. 'Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise!' Please, don't do this, Christine" I pleaded with her.

"I have to" she said darkly, although her hands were shaking as she held the gun.

"Ple-"

"Shut up!" She yelled, making me jump slightly. "I'm doing this, I have to" she said. She pointed the gun directly at Erik's heart and the bullet went flying. In a moment of desperation and fear I did the only thing that I could: I jumped in front of him, the bullet tearing into my stomach. I cried out in pain, although I was too weak to do anything else as I watched blood pour out of the wound. Erik knelt down and cradled me in his arms, tears streaming down his face.

"Why did you do that?!" He cried, using his jacket to try and stop the bleeding.

"B-because I..." I trailed off, my brain seeming to be shutting down and my strength rapidly declining. "Because I love you, Erik" I whispered, my voice raspy and weak as my mind faded into darkness.