Chapter 16 ~ The Will to Live

Katelyn's POV
I sat by Ryleigh's bed, trying not to burst into tears. This was the first time that I had seen her since she disappeared in the secret passageway that night. I held her hand and squeezed it gently. "Ryleigh, I miss you so much. It's just not the same without you. I'm so happy for you and Erik, both of you deserve happiness. If only Christine hadn't messed everything up" I sighed. "Please, if you're there, say something" I pleaded, tears forming in your eyes.

"I wish I could, Katelyn. I wish I could wake up, I wish I could talk to you, I wish I could be there" I heard a familiar voice reply, causing me to nearly jump out of my skin.

"R-Ryleigh? Was that y-you?" I asked, my voice weak as I was still in shock.

"Y-you can hear me?" She replied.

"Yes...How are you talking to me?!" I exclaimed, both happily and curiously.

"I've been trying to talk to Erik and Madame Giry since I woke up yesterday. I'm standing right next to you, but I'm guessing you can't see me. I've been watching myself lay there on the bed since then, it's quite strange actually" she replied, giggling a little bit.

"That would be weird. But why am I the only one who can hear you?" I asked, smiling ever-so-slightly.

"I don't know really. Maybe because we are the only people who came back in time" Ryleigh replied.

"This is kind of cool" I said happily. "It's like I'm talking to thin air, but...I'm not? Or am I? I don't know" I laughed.

"I don't know if this would be considered thin air or not" she replied, her familiar laugh echoing in my head.

"Should I tell someone about this? I mean, they might think I'm insane..." I trailed off.

"I wouldn't tell anyone. But, I need help. Everyone keeps saying that it's up to me if I wake up, but I don't know how to! And I can hardly bear to see Erik suffering over me any longer!" Ryleigh said, and I could tell that she was on the verge of tears. Well, if she could even cry. I still didn't understand how all of that worked.

"Madame Giry said that you just need the will to wake up, whatever that means. Have you tried to wake up?" I asked her curiously.

"I have the will, but I just don't know how!" She exclaimed, and then I was almost certain that there were tears streaming down her face.

"It's alright, Ryleigh, don't stress yourself. Maybe you're still too weak from being shot. I mean, you almost died, after all" I said softly, trying to help her stay calm.

I heard her sigh exasperatedly. "I just want to wake up so badly! I can't bear this much longer, to see Erik sobbing his eyes out over me! And even if I do wake up, what if I wake up back in the future! This is all too much!" She said, choking back sobs.

"Ryleigh, I don't know how to make you feel better. But I know one thing, and it's that if I ever see Christine again I will personally steal Erik's lasso and strangle her until I see the light leave her eyes. No one messes with my best friend!" I told her, and I meant every word.

"Thanks, Katelyn. That means a lot" Ryleigh replied, and I smiled towards the direction that her voice was coming from.

Hey guys! So, another plot twist of sorts! 😂 so, Katelyn's back, and she's the only person that Ryleigh can talk to! Comment and vote please, it is greatly appreciated!! Thanks! 😘☺️💕
-TotalPhangirl