Chapter 3 ~ A Discovery

Ryleigh's POV
My heart started beating faster as the two girls approached us.

"Hello, girls. Are you two ready for dress rehearsals?" Christine asked, a far off look in her eyes. She was probably thinking about her "Angel of Music."

"As ready as we can be" I replied. I was terrified! I couldn't sing or dance, much less do both at the same time!

"Well, shall we go to rehearsals?" Meg asked, smiling.

"Sure" Katelyn said, smiling as the four of us walked out of the dormitories and to the stage.

Katelyn and I both exchanged terrified glances, but I tried my best to hide my dread as we got into positions backstage. I knew that I was about to fail epically. The conductor said a few words, and then the music started. I was shocked when we walked onto the stage; it was like my body was moving without my mind telling it to. I automatically took each step before I could think about it. I looked over at Katelyn and saw that she was doing the same thing, looking at me in awe. The song continued until the music suddenly stopped. After that, rehearsals played out just like the musical; Carlotta left, the new managers showed up, and Christine got the part. When rehearsals were over, Katelyn and I decided to go and explore the opera house. We walked around the hallways, through the courtyard, and raced up and down the grand staircase when no one was watching. "This place is so beautiful" I said, staring at all of the detailed architecture.

"I know" Katelyn replied, smiling. "You wanna go and try to find 'the lair?'" She asked.

"Sure. Maybe we won't get Punjabbed the second we walk in" I said nervously.

"It'll be fine. Come on!" She pulled me through the halls. We stopped at every tapestry, closet, and loose floorboard that we could find. However, we didn't find any sort of hidden door or passageway. We tried everywhere, but found nothing. That is, until I spotted a huge bookcase in one room.

"Katelyn? Do you remember in all of those movies and TV shows where if you pull a certain book out of a bookcase it opens a door to a hidden room?"

In response, she grinned at me and we both sprinted to the bookcase and tried pulling each book out individually. We found one towards the middle of the shelf, and surprisingly, it worked!

"Oh my Gosh!" We said in unison. Giving each other a look, we both crossed over the threshold and entered the damp darkness.