Chapter 4 ~ Through the Trapdoor

Ryleigh's POV
After we stepped into the damp darkness, the bookcase that we had stepped through slammed shut, eliminating all light in the hidden passageway.

"Crap" I said, growing more frightened by the second. "How do we get back out?!" I exclaimed, not being able to see Katelyn.

"I suppose we'll just have to keep walking and try to find another door" she said, although I could tell that she was scared.

"Alright. Let's stay together" I said, and I felt around until I could find her hand to hold onto. She squeezed my hand reassuringly, and then the two of us began our trek through the darkness. We walked for who-knows-how-long, until all of a sudden an opening in the floor swung open. I was the only one standing on it, so I couldn't do anything but scream as I plunged into whatever may lay underneath the opera house. I flailed my arms around and tried to find something to grab on to, but it was no use; I was falling into pitch black darkness with no end in sight. I fell for what seemed hours until I finally saw a few lit torches and my body slammed into a damp, concrete floor. When I landed I hit my head, making me extremely dizzy. I tried to stand, but I just fell down again. "Great, I've probably got a concussion" I muttered to myself, helplessly laying there on the floor. "HELP!" I screamed, even though I knew that there was probably no one around. As my head kept throbbing, I heard footsteps and saw a figure step out of the blackness and pick me up in their arms as I slipped into unconsciousness.