Chapter 18 ~ As White as a Ghost

Erik's POV
One morning I was sitting by Ryleigh's bed, tears welling up in my eyes. I was never the type of person to cry, but when the love of your life is barely alive, I guess you can't do anything but let your emotions out.

"Erik" I heard a voice say, and I turned around to see Madame Giry standing by the doorway of the ballet dormitories.

"Yes?" I asked, sounding a little annoyed. Luckily, Madame Giry had know me for years and was used to my rudeness.

"You need to rest, sitting here and staring at her, wishing that you could've done something different, that won't make anything better! Just go take a walk for a little bit, do anything to take your mind off of her" she said, looking at me with concern in her eyes.

"But I c-"

"Erik, trust me, you need rest. I know you don't sleep enough as it is, but now you're really going to be sick if you don't get any rest!" She said, concern evident and in her voice. She knew how stubborn I could be.

"I can't just leave her here, what if she wakes up?!"

"I promise I will come get you if she wakes up. Now, go, get some sleep! You need it" she said, smiling ever so slightly as she ushered me out the door.

I supposed she was right, I did need rest. I sighed and headed down to my lair, hoping to take my mind off of my Angel.

Katelyn's POV
"Hello, Madame Giry!" I said politely as she stood in the doorway of the ballet dormitory.

"Ah, good morning, Katelyn. What brings you here?" She replied, a slightly troubled look on her face.

"Nothing, really. I was just wondering something. You said that Ryleigh needs 'the will to wake up,' but I didn't really understand what that meant..." I said, hoping that I sounded nonchalant enough about it.

"Well, that means that she has to find something to live for. Something that she loves so much that she would do anything to wake up for it" she replied.

"But, she loves Erik more than anything on this Earth! Why isn't that enough?" I said, becoming slightly exasperated.

She sighed,"I have been wondering that myself. But I think that...Katelyn, do you know something that you wish to tell me? Something that might prevent Ryleigh from being able to wake up?" She asked suspiciously.

I sighed. I told Ryleigh that I wouldn't tell anyone about anything that had happened, but I had to. It was the only way I could help her. "Well, it's kind of a long story" I sighed. And then I told her everything, starting from the night Ryleigh and I watched Phantom and went back in time. When I was finished, Madame Giry stared at me with an astonished look on her face.

"My God" she said, and her face turned white as a ghost.