Chapter 17 ~ Laughter

Ryleigh's POV
Over the next few weeks I had nothing to do but talk to Katelyn and watch Erik cry over me. I tried to wake up almost every second, but I just couldn't. I didn't know how! One afternoon Katelyn was sitting by my bed and we were talking when I finally got the nerve to ask her something. "Katelyn, I need you to ask Madame Giry or the doctor how I can wake up. I've tried countless times, but I just can't! I have no idea how! It's not like I can just snap my fingers and wake up!" I nearly screamed, almost hyperventilating.

"I'm sorry, Ryleigh. I know you must feel like crap. I'll try asking Madame Giry without arousing suspicion" Katelyn replied, looking towards the direction my voice was coming from.

"You know, I sometimes wonder how weird I look when I'm talking to you but I can't see you. It's really strange, but kind of cool" she said, laughing slightly.

"It is pretty cool" I said, smiling even though I knew that she couldn't see it.

"Woah!" She said, jumping back a little.

"What?" I asked curiously.

"I-I just saw y-you for a split second. What did you d-do differently?" Katelyn replied, a look of shock on her face.

"I smiled..." I trailed off, and then it hit me. "Wait, Madame Giry said that I need the will to wake up. What if that means that I need to be happy enough to wake up?!" I exclaimed.

"Maybe. I'll try to make you laugh. Umm, what do you call it when two crows are sitting on a bench?" Katelyn said, knowing that it was my favorite joke.

"Attempted murder!" I laughed, a huge smile breaking out on my face.

"Wait, I can see you! Oh my gosh!"

"Really?!" I asked in shock.

"Yeah. I still don't know why you find that joke so funny" she sighed, an I-don't-get-it-look on her face.

"A group of crows is called a murder, so when two crows are together it's called attempted murder!" I said, causing me to laugh again. "It's hilarious" I sighed happily.

"You are a strange child, Ryleigh. Wait, I wonder if I can touch you or not!" Katelyn said, and she reached over and playfully slapped me on the arm.

"That answers that question" I said, pretending to wince in pain.

"Oh, shut up!" She said, and the two of us laughed for longer than I had in a long time.