16

I was sitting next to my sister in the church, the whole town was basically there, I was thinking about the fact that I had to speak in front of the whole mystic falls. I've done it before, but my mother was alive then, so this is harder, "We are here today to pay out tribute and our respect to a pillar of our community, our sister, our protector sheriff Elizabeth Forbes. We are also here today to show our love and support for Liz's family and friends."

I squeezed my sisters hand, there was so much going on today, why did it have to be today? The whole time I was thinking, about the fact that something was wrong with me. I wouldn't just cough up blood for no reason, if I died today my sister would be alone. I would be alone, there is no more other side.

"Are you okay?" Caroline asked me, "You don't look good."

"I'm just tired, didn't get enough sleep last night." I told her, some of the officers got up and walked to the front.

The officers put a flag over her casket, "Calling Sheriff Forbes. This is the last call for sheriff Forbes." One of the officers said.

"Oh, mom." I cried, closing my eyes, laying my head on Caroline's shoulder, that hurt, not physically but emotionally, I was kind of hoping that she'd answer, and all of this be for nothing.

"No response. Radio number 2-6 is out of service after 12 years and four months of police service. Gone but never forgotten. Ten-hut." The officers turned around.

"We said we weren't going to cry."

"It's kind of hard not to, especially when do things like that." I told her, I mean crying makes things better.

"Liz Forbes was my friend. I'm her last moments, she asked me to pass along a message to her daughters, but I cut her off before she could say too much, I told her she could tell Caroline and Elissa herself, but she didn't get that chance." Damon looked at us.

"Your mom wanted you to now how proud of the two of you she was, and she should be. You two are beautiful, strong women, generous friends, and Caroline you are a bright light in a sea of dark. You were what kept your sister going when we were away for a while."

"She said that the two of you would accomplish great thing some day, that you were extraordinary, and you are, and so was she. Liz was a hero to this town, she was a hero to all of you, and she was a hero to me. Good-bye, sheriff. You will be missed." Damon walked down from the stage.

"Hey, can you come with me?" Caroline asked me.

"Yeah." I got up and we stood up in front of everyone.

"Thank you all for coming. This is for my mom." She took a deep breath, "Go in peace. Go in kindness. Go in love. Go in faith. Leave the day. The day behind us. The day is done. Go in grace. Let us go~ into the dark. Not afraid. Not alone. Let us hope, by some good pleasure. Safely to arrive at home." She sung it beautifully.

I smiled, giving her a hug, "You did amazing."

"Thank you, are you still doing your speech?" She asked me, I wanted to do it, but I didn't want to cry in front of all those people.

"I'll just read it to you later." I told her.

                                      __

We were at the grill, where our mothers memorial was being held. I walked over to where Caroline was, I'm pretty sure she was also tired, "Hey."

"Hey, it's been a long day." She slightly smiled.

"You don't have to put on a show for me, I know that you aren't fine. We can be not fine together." I told her, it was my turn to comfort her.

"You wanna get out of here?" She asked me.