Survival Test V

The Same Day
Camp site
(Y/N) POV

We have returned to the camp site with Ibuki. She didn't want to cause any trouble so she decided to sat further away from us. As long as she is in our sight, she won't cause any trouble. Hirata wasn't here, unfortunately.

My group was trying to light up the bonfire but it just wouldn't light up. After our countless desperate attempts, I approached Ike and asked for his help.

Ike: A bonfire? Wait, these thick branches aren't going to catch on fire. You need to start with smaller branches, you know? The branches you got here are too big. Also, a bunch of 'em are dump, too. This is no good at all!

Me: I see. If you don't mind, could you tell us what to do?

Ike set down his bag and went into the forest. He returned not too long after, bringing a bunch of branches of different sizes, from thin to medium and also dead leaves. With that he picked up the matchbook, and quickly set fire to the dead leaves. As the leaves kindled, he started adding some small twigs. Then, he gradually added in thicker branches. In the blink of an eyes, the flame turned into a typical bonfire.

Ike: There we go!

The class gathered around the bonfire and amazed by Ike's skill.

Sudou: You experienced campers know your stuff.

Ike: That's the most basic of basics. Just learn that and anyone can do it.

Yamauchi: That's so cool!

And then, Kushida's group returned with a lot of fruits. Hirata followed them as well. Kushida picked up one of the fruits.

Kushida: You think this one's edible?

Shinohara: Who knows?

Kushida: Maybe they're blueberries!

Ike approached and looked at the berries held by Kushida.

Ike: Those are bog bilberries! Did you find those, Kikyou-chan? That's amazing!

Kushida pointed to the other fruits.

Kushida: So, Kanji-kun. Do you know what these are?

Kanji: Those are figs, I think!

He picked up the fruit.

Ike: They're sweet and delicious, too! Boy, this takes me back!

Karuizawa: Really?

Hirata: Ike-kun, you know all about this, huh? That's really reassuring.

Me: Ike started the fire, too.

Kushida: Kanji-kun, you're amazing!

Classmate 1: Yeah!

Classmate 2: He did a splendid job starting the fire, too!

Classmate 3: I'm glad we have someone experienced with us!

I'm glad they started to appreciate Ike's efforts.