iii

the boy next door

~*~

when emma arrived home, she headed straight to her brother's room, and knocked on his door.

"Come in" she heard through the door. She opened the door and saw austin lying in his bed, on his phone.

she jumped onto the bed."whatcha doin'?" she asked the 16-year-old."Oh ya know just watching TikTok," he said holding up his phone so that emma could see.

"oh co- wait, is that cameron's TikTok?" The girl asked her younger brother.

aj quickly turned off his phone "yeah" he said kinda embarrassed.

"You miss him too huh?" emma asked. "I mean yeah, don't you em?" aj said looking up at his sister, who was on the verge of tears.

"yeah, of course i do, i miss him a lot," emma replies, "but he'll be back, from his moms in a couple days" she reassured her little brother, as she starts thinking about how she had met cameron clark.

~*~

Flashback to 8th grade 3 weeks before the fall formal

emma and austin had just gotten off the bus when a boy, from the bus, tapped on emma's shoulder.

"hey, your emory right?" the boy asked her, and before she could reply she felt a small pair of hands tugging on her jacket.

"emmy, come on we gotta get home, spongebob comes on in 30 minutes." austin wined wanting to get home quickly so he could watch his show.

"aj, hold on, and yeah, I'm emory,but please call me emma" she said with a smile. "and your cameron, right? i think we have english and history together." she said turning away from her younger brother to face the boy who had asked her name.

"oh uh yeah, we are in the same history and english class" cameron said flustered because she actually remembered him. "it was nice to actually meet you, cameron." emma smiled sweetly at him.

"yeah, you too," he said, smiling back at her. "oh my god, I almost forgot why I came over here," cameron stated with a quick and light laugh, as well as emma.

"tour friends with the triplets right?" cameron asked.

"um... yeah, I'm friends with them." emma was really confused as to why this kid she didn't know was asking about who her friends were.

"okay cool, we are all going to formal as a group, and I was wondering if you wanted to come?" he asked pausing for a second. "but if you don't want to-" he continued but the girl cut him off.

"i'd love that." she responded with a sweet smile.

emma might not have known cameron as well as cameron knew her. he admired the fact that she knew so much about both subjects. he admired her smarts over anything, the looks were just a bonus.

ever since the first day of 8th grade, cameron had made it his personal mission to get to know the girl and ask her to the fall formal.

~ * ~

even though he asked her to go as a group with their mutual friends, he would eventually work up the courage and ask her to go to formal with him, as his date and not just the whole group.