vi

talking and throwing fries

~*~

after 15 minutes, emma got matt's text saying he had arrived at her house.

emma quickly put on her shoes and a grey zip-up jacket over her black crop top, which she had paired with some white Nike sweatpants, and ran out her front door to the van matthew had driven there.

"hey bernard," emma said getting situated into the front passenger seat.

"em," matt responded looking, smiling at the girl as she put on her seat.

"what," she asked when she looked up and saw matt smiling at her.

"nothing" he replied.

after about 5 minutes of complete silence, matthew handed emma his phone.

emma looked at the boy confused.

"play any song you want," matt said.

'hopefully, I won't regret this'  matthew thought to himself.

emma finally found the perfect song.

'alright, alright woah.
why are you pointing at me with a knife?
I've been cutting corners all my life, girl but terror doesn't blossom overnight, no.'

"consume by chase atlantic," emma said after slightly yelling the lyrics of the first verse."do you listen to them?" she asked as she turned the volume down so she could hear matt's reply.

"nah, not really," he replies

emma does a fake 'gasp', "we can't be friends anymore bernard." She jokes.

Matthew looked at her and thinks for a second, "Do you listen to kid cudi?" he questions emma.

emma puts her hands up in surrender, "alright, you got me."

"now we're even emmy" matt grinned as he pulled into the Mcdonald's.

hearing emmy come out of matt's mouth made the girl smile, and not because she liked the way it sounded coming out of matt's mouth, but because It reminded her of a time when things were good between the two teens.

"emma"

emma heard her name and zoned back into reality.

"here you go." matt handed her some chicken nuggets, fries, and a dr.pepper.

"wait- you remembered my order?" emma asked, very surprised.

"yep," matt chuckled slightly, then hesitated. "Can I be real with you em?"

emma looked at matt and took a sip of her dr.pepper.

"mhm"

'now's the time, matthew. fix what was broken.' matthew's thought told him, so he listened.

"i'm really sorry about the whole 'chris and I growing distant' thing, and I don't want you to blame chris, because he was doing it all for me. I asked him to. I asked him to because I was scared of getting hurt. I really liked you, but you liked cameron more and so I wanted to give you space so it didn't seem like I was totally obsessed with you, and when I did, I asked chris to back off too so I wasn't so lonely. Im so sorry emma." Matthew confessed.

emma looked down, scared to look back at the boy, who she knew was staring at her hoping for a response.sShe didn't know that matt felt that way.

"i'm sorry too matt," her voice broke a little, as tears started to fall from her face.

"hey," matt said pulling her chin up gently by his thumb and pointer finger. "you don't have to apologize, emmy,"

emma reached over and hugged matt, and he quickly hugged back. "you don't either," She said with her head in the crook of his neck.

the hug wasn't awkward or weird or uncomfortable, it was comforting, it felt right to both of them.

after a moment the two let go of the hug.

matt went on his phone and emma worked on finishing her meal when all of a sudden matt felt something hit the side of his head.

emma giggled.

"did you just throw a french fry at me?" matt asked.

"maybe," emma said as she grabbed another fry and threw it at him, this time with him looking at her.

the two looked at each other and immediately burst into laughter.

once they had calmed down, the two sat there for a second.

"wanna know something kinda funny?" emma asked, taking another sip of her drink.

"I used to have a crush on you too Bernard."

"what, really?" the boy was genuinely surprised.

"mhm," the girl answered.

"wow," matt said, which caused the girl to giggle.

"don't act so surprised matt" emma said."hey,were good right?" she asked

matt looked at her and started smiling, which caused emma to smile too.

"yeah, we're good em."

~*~

after the two teens finished their middle-of-the-night snack he took emma back to her house.

"hey matt," emma said before closing the car door. "thank you, I had fun, seriously." she finished with a smile.

"any time emma," matt said smiling back at her.

the two looked at each other for a few long seconds.

"oh, umm, goodnight i guess bernard," emma said, breaking the eye contact.

"goodnight emmy."

~*~

emma and matt were both lying in their own beds, rethinking over the events that occurred in the hours before, with a smile on their faces.

things were gonna be okay...

~*~

THIS WHOLE CHAPTER HAD ME FEELING AHXHUAVXUDHBS