Side Story: Payback's a bitch

You tried to tell that boy his luck would run short.

He didn't listen

He never listens.

"Latrelle.. ugh you-... lord help me.." You sigh, your hand pinching the bridge of your nose in frustration.

He was standing in your door way- barely- Clutching his side.

His face bruised and battered.

You pulled him in. "What in the hell did you do to get yourself this fucked up?"

He chuckled wryly.

"Heh.. uh.. would you believe me if I told you I went 3 rounds with a bear?"

"Be fuckin for real..- Bit- Sit down so I can clean this..." You shuffle around toward your bathroom where the first aid kit rested.

You always kept one handy. Ever since you befriended Latrelle, you just accepted him for the trouble maker he was. Granted you didn't know he got into THIS much trouble.

Sure, he fought a couple guys around the hood. Sure, he fought a few dudes he disliked at school. But THIS?? This was a different type of beating.

He never had too many bruises for your to handle but tonight, It really DID look like he went 3 rounds with a bear.

"Start from the beginning, and tell me everything." You spoke, as he made his way on to the ground, sitting between your legs.

"Head back, bozo" The cotton ball in your hand ready to sap up whatever blood was still fresh.

Latrelle smacked you on the thigh playfully. "Just for that, I'mma draw the story out"

You reached for a bottle of alcohol, waving it above his face. "Don't forget I got this and peroxide. I will raw dog your forehead with this shit, keep playing."

"Alright alright, damn. You gremlin." He continued to let you do your thing as he explained why her came back the way he did

"I got into with some Santos."

You paused.

"Y/n?" Latrelle looked up noticing you looking down at him.

Your brain was running through every possible scenario, but you face expression was stoic.

"Keep talking.." You began dabbing his forehead clean, starting with his eye brow.

The laceration wasn't deep. 'No stitches. Thank God..' You thought.

"I got into with Cesar a while back. He told me he was gonna pop me.. guess his punk ass bitched out." He expressed himself in a laid back manner, attempting to mumble the end through a huff.

You moved on to the peroxide dabbing and holding along the brow so the pain wouldn't seep in as much.

Latrelle continued to speak when he realized your silence wasn't changing anytime soon.

"I caught him slipping. Down at the park. I roughed him up a bit. I didn't know he had all his people with him though."

You paused. "You're telling me you tried to beat his ass and didn't think to check your surroundings."

"I was clouded by anger, alright?! If you're gonna be on me, be about it. Don't talk big and punk out". Latrelle snapped back.

"And don't you judge me for being on go mode." He mumbled

You had neosporin'ed his eyebrow, moving on to his cheek.

No warning, you take a cotton ball and douse in to alcohol, taking to the right side of his face as he winced.

"Ow! Shit- You not gon' warn me?"

"You were saying you got jumped?" You ignored him, continuing with his care and encourgaing him to get on with the story.

"Yeah I got jumped aight?" You sat silently still cleaning his face.

This progressed until his whole face was cleaned, disinfected, covered in triple antibiotic, and bandaged.

The silence at him though. "Y/n, bro... you not speaking to me anymore"

" 'Trell, I don't know what you want me to say."

"Well say something, your silence is feeling less like judgment and more like dissapointment now."

"It's both."

You got up and helped him lay on your couch. As you trailed off to the bathroom he could hear you addressing him still.

"I'm tired of patching you up. I'm not a fucking clinic. You lucky I've gotten into and broken up enough fights to know how to fix you."

You trekked into the kitchen, going into the freezer for an icepack as you continued.

"You wouldn't be in this position if you learned to watch your mouth and stop thinkin you're untouchable just because you have relatives who bang."

Latrelle rolled his eyes, behind your back of course.

You made your way back to the couch, handing him the pack.

"It's for your ribs." He nodded and placed them under his shirt, thanking you.

Silence fell shortly, until your brain mustered some words.

" Latrelle look at me"

"You. Are Not. Invincible."

His ego felt jilted, he couldn't lie. How do you handle being told that, when you've only ever felt like you were.

"I'm not trying to lose my best friend. I've lost enough people." He let out a strained sigh. Not wanting to admit the validity of your concern.

"I need you to watch your mouth AND surroundings, that's all I'm asking. We wouldn't be here if you did."

Latrelle begged to differ though. "How is this on me??! Casper the friendly fucking ghost said-"

"You know what I mean; you started this when you tried to get at Monse for kicks and giggles. You play with fire not realizing the shit can, will, and does burn."

"So this is my fault?"

"Payback's a bitch aint it?" You clicked the tv on.

"Shut the fuck up."
~
Shhh I know I'm not consistent with my uploads- y'all know this. I'm back on here to say, while I will be *trying* to finish this because I plan on writing some original stories at some point.

I start this lil thing called post-secondary education (college LMFAO) in a few weeks and my profession counts as a Science major, making me a STEM major so- I *may/will* get even less consistent- especially  since I'm technically *not* a freshman but a junior. (Shout out to dual credits)

What have yall be up to though?
Hope you're good❤️