Twenty Seven

-Problems-

-you and me were not the same-

-i am a sinner and you are a saint-

That next morning was Bria's first day of lessons.

She and the other Ravenclaw had spent that morning in Potions, which is not a fun time having to deal with Snape so early in the morning.

After her double Potions was Herbology, and then lunch. After being satisfied from a peaceful lunch where Bria got to catch up with her friends and try to not expose anything about the Order, the Rvaenclaws finally got to their next class.

Defense Against the Dark Arts.

She hadn't seen Harry, Ron, or Hermione all day, as their classes seemed to be on opposite sides of the school. But Bria has Charms with them tomorrow and Ancient Runes with Hermione.

Per usual, the Ravenclaws sit in their designated spots, Bria and Michael next to each other, Anthony and Terry in front of them, and Padma to Michael's left sitting next to another Ravenclaw in their year.

They share Defense with the Hufflepuffs like always, and after having classes together for years everyone gets along with each other well. This means lots of catching up and getting out of their seats before the lesson actually begins.

Professor Umbridge did not like this.

The moment she swung the doors open, she had cast a spell that pulls everyone into their correct seats.

"Students will not be out of their chairs the moment I walk through the door," Professor Umbridge tells them.

"How were we supposed to know when she walked in," Terry whispers to Anthony, but was loud enough for the whole class to hear.

Professor Umbrage turns sharply to him. "Students will not make sharp comments."

Terry didn't say anything after that, but as soon as Professor Umbridge turns to face the chalkboard, Terry lifts up his hand to flip her off.

Defense Against the Dark Arts
A Return to Basic Principles

"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disruptive and fragmented, hasn't it?" Professor Umbridge states. "We will be following a carefully structured, theory-centered, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic this year. Copy down the following, please."

She turns back tot he chalkboard and lifts up her wand to write more.

Course Aims:

1. Understanding the principles underlying defensive magic
2. Learning to recognize situations in which defensive magic can legally be used
3. Placing the use of defensive magic in a context for practical use

Everyone quickly scribbles what the chalkboard said, except for Michael. He frowns at eh chalkboard, until Bria finishes her notes and then bumps his arm to get him to do the same.

He shakes his head, and doesn't write.

"Has everybody got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?"

Silence.

"I think we'll try that again. When I ask you a question, I would like you to reply with a 'yes, Professor Umbridge,' or 'no, Professor Umbridge.' So, has everyone got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?"

"Yes Professor Umbridge," the class says unenthusiastically.

"Good," she says smiling, "I would like you to turn to page five and read chapter one, 'Basics for Beginners.' There will be no room to talk."