New Beginnings With a Narwal

Becoming a murderer is a silly thing

Becoming a murderer is a silly thing. I never thought that I'd become one since I had promised my sister to not do anything that wasn't kind.

Guess I burned that bridge.

I can picture Riv's face now. Seething with anger and a knife in her hand.

My eyes dart around the city of Polis as I picture her reaction to my actions 5 years ago. She'd be horrified and I think scared of me.

I think I'd be scared of me too.

My thoughts are interrupted by Lexa walking into the room, but I don't turn around. I hear her sigh at my lack of acknowledgment, but I still don't turn.

Instead I mutter, "What part of "I won't see you" was unclear?" I finally turn my gaze to meet her's.

She rolls her eyes as she comes to stand next to the window seat I'm sat on. "I respected your wishes for a week, Hails." She says and my eyes narrow. "We've got bigger concerns." Her eyes meet mine and I almost forget about the anger in my veins.

"Don't call me that." I say, turning my gaze back to the window. "Besides, 'We' don't have any concerns at all." I glare at her.

She shakes her head in annoyance before sitting across from me, her lack of armour making her movement almost silent. "Yes, we do." She sighs, glancing at view. "I'm hosting a summit with Skaikru at sundown." She says, turning back to me. "You'll be returned to your people." She says, her voice light, but my nerves spike.

"I'd rather never return." Bellamy's lips on hers come to mind and I squeeze my eyes shut for a moment before sighing.

"And why is that?" She tilts her head, curiosity in her eyes that is in the likeness of a child's.

"Why do you think, Lexa?" I say, narrowing my eyes at her makeup-free face.

"Killing those men, women, and children is a shared blame, Hailey." She glances down. "That blame is also shared onto my shoulders as well as yours."

I bring my eyes to hers, my jaw clicking. "Yeah, well, what a big help you were."

"I know, but it's the choice you would have made." She says and I know that she's right.

"Clarke would have talked me out of it." I mutter, playing with my fingers. "Why go through all this trouble just to let me go?" I say, getting back on topic.

She sighs before saying, "I went to all that trouble to save you."

I narrow my eyes. "Why now when we needed you at Mount Weather."

"Clearly you didn't need my help." She says, making my anger spike.

"Clearly." I roll my eyes.

"You're angry, Hailey, but I know you." She says, her voice low as she leans in. "What you've done haunts you, and it's easier to hate me than to hate yourself." She leans back against the wall.