Chapter 11:

The whole of the Undergrove was dark and silent. The Mother Wolf was fast asleep in her den, and the gnome Shrub was in her room, in her bed, in a fitful slumber. Her loyal bodyguard, Shadow, was sitting alert just outside of her bedroom. The wolf was sworn to protect the gnome, and the two had grown quite fond of each other. 

The gnome twisted in her bed, eyes screwed tightly as her legs tangled in the sheets. 

Shelby sat up abruptly, the sound of her own shriek ringing out through the room. She grabbed her chest, using her other hand to throw the covers off her. "NO!" Was the only thing echoing through the room. 

Shadow burst in, the smoky black wolf bounding towards her at the sound of her cry alongside a  pure white wolf. "Shrub?" The white wolf demanded. "Madam?"

Shelby turned her head to look at them, eyes wide with fear. She was shaking. "Shadow." She murmured, and the huge wolf padded forwards. "I had another nightmare." 

Shadow lowered his head. "It's early, Shelby, but not too much so. I can send out a morning patrol and begin the day if you wish, to take your mind off things." He suggested. 

Shelby nodded, slipping out of bed and walking to her closet. "Shadow, I want you to do a quick sweep of the lowermost flower field, the one just north of us. The one in the valley below House Blossom."

"Yes Shelby." Shadow nodded. "I'll assemble a group. Snow-" he addressed the white wolf, who stood to attention, "-guard Shrub while I'm out."

"Yes General Shadow." The wolf, Snow, nodded. "Of course." He lowered his head. "I shall be honoured to be of service to her, if she should have me." He looked up at the gnome, who nodded, walking away from her closet and pacing her hand on his furry head. 

"I will." She said. "I trust you." Snow lifted his head, and after a pause he licked her hand, which made the gnome giggle. 

Shadow dipped his head in respect before smiling at her. "I'll return shortly." The wolf promised, turning and leaving the room. 

Snow followed him out to let the gnome change, and she exited soon after wearing a pale green shirt with pale brown overalls, and a red opaque overcoat spotted with white. She pulled her red mushroom hat over her short dark brown hair, and her boots were deep brown. 

Snow crouched down to let her climb on, but Shelby shook her head. "Let's get you a saddle. You haven't had someone ride you before, and it might be hard for the both of us." 

Snow hesitated before straightening. "Yes my lady." He finally agreed, following her to the barracks. 

Shelby opened the cabinet where her wolf-riding saddles were. "Snow, here. Let me try this one." She pulled one down and hopped off her stool, walking towards him. 

Snow took a step back before shaking himself off and nodded. "Okay." He said. Shelby set it on him, bending down to adjust it around his middle and then stepped back. 

"How's that? Too loose? Too tight?" 

Snow trotted in a quick circle. "No, that's good." He said, crouching and allowing Shelby to climb on. 

"Now, we should get going." Shrub said. "I have to do a quick survey of the area surrounding our home." 

Snow nodded and waved his tail to two wolves nearby. "Windbeam! Hightail!" He ordered. "Do a quick pass around the souther and eastern entrances. Shrub and I will do north and west." The two wolves barked their agreement and ran off, leaving Shelby and Snow to do their rounds. 

————

"All clear ma'am!" Hightail reported. 

Shelby nodded her thanks. "Good. Thank you both." She patted Snow's head. "Let's head back. Shadow's patrol should be returning any mome-"