Chapter 19:

Lizzie slipped out of her bed, stretching with a yawn, her tail flicking back and forth as she shook herself off. Light was pouring in the windows, a soft breeze making the curtains flutter. She stepped out of her room, looking into the chamber beyond, where Lady Marceline was sitting by the fireplace, reading. "Good morning, my Liege." The attendant said, looking up. 

Lizzie yawned again. "Good morning." She greeted, her tail twitching again. 

Marceline stood up. "We have very few matters on our hands today, so I organized a trip for you." She said, walking past her queen with a quick bow to her before she opened the closet in Lizzie's room. The Oceanfolk started studying the garments. "I hope it isn't an inconvenience." 

Lizzie laughed. "Of course not." She said. "I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do myself. I thought I'd visit either Joel or Jimmy but I hadn't set anything in stone." She began to fix her bed fluffing the pillows and pulling the sheets up. 

Marceline glanced at her. "I planned out a voyage to the Grimlands." She said quietly, pulling a few things from the closet. 

Lizzie froze, her hands hovering over her duvet. "The Grimlands?" She hissed softly. "Why?"

"It seems that their lord, fWhip wants to organize a peace treaty between the empires." Her attendant said carefully. "But nothing has been set in stone, as you said."

"fWhip's sister is under the control of a DEMON GOD, and his brother hasn't been seen or heard from in months. I have a right to be alarmed." Lizzie sighed and turned to her, crossing her arms. "Who would I be bringing?" She asked. 

Marceline put the clothes she had chosen for her queen down on a nearby chair, gesturing for Lizzie to strip so she could get dressed. Once it was done, the attendant gave her the base layers, which the Ocean Queen put on swiftly and took a deep breath as Marceline slung a corset around her and began to tighten it. "I asked for Cleo to accompany you." 

Lizzie nodded, breathing slowly as the corset clamped around her somewhat tightly and held her arms up so Marceline could continue. "Yes?" 

"She agreed." The Lady said, not continuing as she helped her queen into a silky blue skirt. She reached around her waist, clasping a black overskirt around her middle before turning back to the slightly smaller pile of clothes remaining. She pulled a pair of sleeve extensions from the pile, slipping them onto Lizzie's arms before handing her a pair of hand-covers. "You will be leaving after she arrives." Marceline slid on the bodice, tying it in the back before slipping a sash around her waist and slinging it together. 

Lizzie nodded, slipping the hand-covers on and crouching a bit so that Marceline could pin a shawl-overcoat around her shoulders before sitting down as she worked on her hair. "That sounds fine." She said, tilting her head back. 

They left the room a few minutes later, Lizzie smiling at the sudden mobility of her dress. "This is quite nice." She said. 

Lady Marceline nodded. "I made a few modifications. Less skirts, to be more exact." She said lightheartedly, holding the door open for Lizzie. 

Lizzie laughed, taking her trident from its stand in the corner of the room. "I did notice the change of times." She remarked. "I like this more." She ran her fingers along the velvety fabric of the bodice of her dress. 

As they walked to the throne room, Lizzie spotted a commotion outside and raced to the nearest window. As she reached it, the door to the hallway banged open and a woman with a head of bright orange hair sprang in. "Queen Lizzie!" She shouted. 

Lizzie spun around, brandishing her weapon. "Who is-" She started before recognizing the familiar face of Cleo. "Cleo, my goodness, is this your doing?" The Ocean Queen peered out the window again. "If so, that is quite the pandemonium you have managed to create."