fourteen

I swallowed the lump in my throat as the Alpha's presence loomed over the table. The others around the table only raised their heads once a greeting of "Alpha" escaped their mouths. I pursed my lips, turning my attention to Eve who gave me a wide eyed look. I frowned at her when she darted her eyes between the two of us persistently.

With a sigh, I turned my eyes back up to the Alpha to find him already staring down at me. His face was stern, yet I could see the signs of agitation in the way he was clenching his jaw. I remained silent, and I knew he didn't like that but I refused to give him my compliance when I didn't want to be here. I felt a surge of confidence against him, and knew that the strange magic hold he had on me meant he wasn't going to hurt me. I had felt it the first time I lay eyes on him and I knew it now, deep in my gut.

I always trust my gut.

"Ailia..." Eve cautioned.

I rolled my eyes, dismissing the Alpha again as I looked to her. This resounded in another growl, one that had me jump slightly from its pitch.

"Ailia." His voice rumbled, causing a strange wave of pleasure to run down my spine. "You do not ignore your Alpha."

His voice was deep, raspy and practically pornographic evidence to my ears. But what he said also caused my anger to hitch up a notch, barely tangible but hiding in the shadows. I looked back to him, lowering my eyebrows to a glare.

"You are not my Alpha." I spoke sternly.

His lip curled in a snarl; his eyes dark in colour. I wonder why the blue always disappeared, he was a lot more attractive with blue eyes. His hair was messy and wild on his head, probably from the hunt that Eve told me about. Crazed wolf-man out hunting bears; he was basically suicidal.

"I am your Alpha. You reside in my pack, so you respect your Alpha." He snapped.

Dammit why was his angry voice so damn hot? I would never win an argument if this is how he spoke all the time. It sent rumbles in my chest, a pool of warmth between my legs. He had to be part warlock, or wizard, or whatever it was, because this cannot be normal. The power I felt from him, the emotions I detected from his mere presence, were not normal. I am human, he is a wolf; it could not happen.

With my body betraying me, I felt the rising flood of emotions over take my mind. I didn't want to be here, and quite frankly this spell he had me under was making me feel out of sorts. I didn't like the numbness he gave my mind, the way his harsh glare seemed to somehow still make me feel comforted. I didn't like the control he had, and it was causing my anxiety to sky rocket.

So with a bubbling pot of anger in my stomach, I rose from my chair. Hands placed firmly on the wooden table top, I glared right back at the man who apparently would not hurt me.

"Well, perhaps I do not want to be here, did Alpha think about that?" I quipped, glaring at him.

There were small shocks of surprise, but he didn't react. He held my gaze, crossing his arms against his chest as though he was trying to distract me. It worked of course, my eyes falling to the bulging muscle only caused me to curse internally. He was going to break my resolve.

With a huff, I pulled my legs from the table and stumbled out of the picnic bench. He didn't react to my outburst, and that only seemed to rile me on even more. I stood opposing him now, and the tension was undeniable amongst the other wolves who watched with bated breaths. I only came to the man's shoulder, meaning I had to tilt my head up right to glare at him.

With gritted teeth, I leaned into him, poking his chest. I tried hard to ignore the way a warm current flowed up my arm, but a small shudder passed along my shoulders. I was going to test his resolve, see if this man truly was as harmless as people said he would be to me.