sixty four

The next morning, I ate breakfast peacefully. I made small conversation with the wolves surrounding me, sat beside Eliza and rejoiced about how good the patio looked with fresh eyes. Standing on the patio alone, I hugged an iced coffee to my chest as the rest of the pack went about their morning.

Of course, I had a plan.

My calm and open demeanour was merely a mask to hide what was going on inside my head. I finally wanted to speak to Asra regarding his employees' lack of payment and rewards. I knew that every morning he had a meeting with Rio, his beta, where they discussed the previous day and current events. Rio would leave his meeting and go for a run in the morning.

All I merely had to do was wait for a moment alone with Asra, one where if I was to fail, I could use the mate mark in my favour. As I waited for Rio to leave, I sat on the swing and grinned over my cup. I had a notepad with me, already full of points and facts that I had drawn up whilst they spent an hour together talking crap. I did not have the hearing shifters possessed, so I would have to rely on my strongest sense; sight.

Time passed peacefully as I waited, and eventually I heard the front door click open. Casting my eyes up, Rio stepped out of the threshold, shutting the door softly behind him. His eyes appraised the clean patio before settling on the place where I lay waiting.

"Good morning, Ailia. Out here alone?" He wondered.

I knew I wasn't alone. Asra had eyes everywhere. He thought I was dumb enough to not notice them.

I shrugged, smiling at Rio. "Not if you're here."

His jaw clenched nervously, a shaky laugh escaping him. "Afraid not. I'm going for my morning run."

"Oh, really?" I wondered, faux interested. "I'm more of a walking person."

He nodded, dropping his gaze to the mark on my neck. I had tied my hair up today, knowing it would get Asra's attention. Piper had told me that showing off a mark was a matter of pride for wolves, and it would definitely get Asra's hormones riled up.

"Walking is just as refreshing. You'll have to have a proper tour of the grounds one day." He insisted, and I quirked an eyebrow.

"Is that an invitation?"

He smirked, shaking his head. "No, merely a statement, Luna."

There it is, the title card.

I exhaled loudly, shaking my head. "Have a pleasant run, Rio."

He nodded, losing his smile as he took off toward the forest. I watched him go, disappearing into the sparse trees until he was a mere speck. I wondered if I was a wolf. Would I still see him right now? Would my vision be so strong to see that far through the dark trees? Could my ears pick up on the sound of his steps and ragged breaths as he ran?

Silly thoughts get girls in trouble, my mother would say.

I shook my head before rising from the swing, my half-finished coffee still in hand. I luckily remembered my way to Asra's office and leisurely wandered my way there. I didn't want to draw attention to myself; being human with an Alpha's mark already did enough of that.

Reaching the large wooden door, I raised my fist to knock. I could picture him inside, smirking as he noticed my presence. A small call of entry met my weak ears, and I inhaled deeply before pushing the heavy door open. I grunted with the effort, unused to a door of this size and weight. As soon as there was a gap small enough, I slithered my way through sideways.

"Tulip, what do I owe the pleasure?"

I spun around to face him, happy to find him alone. I smiled at him as I made my way to sit in the chair before his desk, running my eyes along the contents that lay before him. He had a computer to his left, a hefty pile of paper in front of him, with a black fountain pen hanging lazily in his right hand.