seventeen

** be sure to read chapter 16, I double updated today **

What was this?

Was it some kind of sick joke?

Why was I dragged here as someone's soulmate, only to be replaced by another female?

He claimed I was his, and that I couldn't prevent that. But was he not mine?

This was like Evermore all over again.

Just as I accepted the fact that he was supposed to be my soulmate, he threw a curveball in my direction. One that had my emotions flying wild, my stomach doing confused somersaults; a toddler attempting a cartwheel.

But you know what? Good. I didn't want a stupid soulmate, anyway. I didn't want to be here; it was my mission to not be here. I would rather the wolves murder me in the woods than be stuck to an animal's side.

That's what I told the strange emotions swirling inside of me...

Multiple eyes stayed locked on me, some of them growling as they stared between the couple ahead and me. I wasn't sure if they directed the growls at me, but the few that I heard were all surrounding me.

As soon as the kiss started, Asra was pushing the female's hands away, his head rearing back abruptly. I wasn't sure what was happening, but he must've said something to her, going by the sad, confused look in her eyes. She took a step away from him, her eyes narrowing.

Mya's hand wrapped around my waist, drawing my attention back to her. Her dark eyes were in narrowed slits, her jaw tight and firm as she stared down at me. I frowned, unsure on why I was drawing so much attention. Her fingers pulled on my body, pulling me into her side. I staggered but followed her steps as she held onto me.

I felt eyes on my back, some prickling and obvious as she led me back out of the crowd. My ribs burned with the effort, but I held strong as she took me through the house. I wasn't sure where we were going until she stopped by the elevator. Pressing my floor, I snapped out of my daze and stepped out of her arm.

"What is going on?" I snapped. "Why did you drag me away?"

"It was the best option."

"What was the worse?" I huffed. "Watching two people make out?"

If eyes could burn holes, call me Swiss cheese.

"It isn't something you want to see. He is your mate; he should be abstinent from others!" She cursed.

The elevator dinger, signifying its arrival. Mya huffed, grabbing my bicep once more and pulling me into the small box. The doors closed softly behind us, the faint murmuring from the crowd outside disappearing. The death box fell silent as we took off up through the building, my knuckles whitening on the handle. When the doors finally opened on my level, I cleared my throat awkwardly before stepping out of the elevator.

"Wait!" Mya shouted.

I paused once I stepped foot in the hallway, turning to look at her over my shoulder.

"I'll walk you to your door." She mumbled, falling to my side.

I ignored the tense, on alert look on her face as she walked me down the hall. Her feet were quiet on the carpet, the only sound my harsh breaths as I battled with the urge to fall on my face.

I was going to regret all this exercise tomorrow.

Reaching my door, I unlocked it without hesitance. Stepping inside, I leaned heavily against the wood, looking up at Mya awkwardly. She studied me, her nose flaring when we made eye contact. What Eve had told me at the dinner table ran through my mind and I blushed, dropping my eyes away from hers.