Chapter 01 : I hear you knocking but you can't come in!

What can be worse than the annoying sound of Face book ping when a woman is daring her dreams to come alive from the unconscious recesses of her restless mind?  Isabelle looked at the clock on the apartment hotel wall with half closed eyes. Six thirty in the morning. Who was so desperate to contact her at this ungodly hour?

 She tucked a roll of her hair behind the ear, twisted it at the nape in a bed head knot and yawned. Why she had to wake up when the good part of dream was just starting? She seldom had any sleep. After her daughter's birth, she lacked the required quota, Isabelle turned and went to cuddle Isaac, but there was a space where he slept. He must have left early to attend important meeting. She wondered why such incidents were increasing. Isabelle dreaded the thought of one more fight as she stretched herself.  A groan escaped her lips when, with half closed eyes, she tried to grab her phone from the side table.

When she moved a small hand grabbed her from the behind. Her daughter Suzan was sleeping near her. Her soft, wavy hair spread on a Winny pillow. She was still holding her Minny Mouse. Isabelle just kept on looking at her angelic features. The small, cherubic face looked so peaceful. Out of nowhere, her pink, tiny lips curved in a tender smile. Maybe she was dreaming their recent trip to DisneeLand. This little moppet was the blessing that God granted her late but Isabelle had no complaints. She was grateful that at last, she had a tot who cuddled to her every night and gave her a love each day.

Isabelle thought there was nothing more precious than petite hands adorning her neck.

Isabelle removed Suzan’s hand at a slow pace for the fear of not waking her up. Her heart filled with a love and joy at the sight of the small baby sleeping near her. At five, her girl was the cutest girl she had ever seen. May be Isabelle was biased. But moms thought that way.

Her cell phone again pinged.

Someone was indeed in a hurry to contact her.

Without making a noise; she half got up from the bed and picked her brand new mobile. Last night was their wedding anniversary and Isaac had gifted her that phone.

For a woman, who loved gadgets, it was the perfect present.

As soon as Isabelle saw the name of the person sending her a message; the joy of holding her cherished gift vanished and she looked at her phone again. Few wrinkles appeared parallel over her forehead. Was she dreaming? She rubbed her eyes and read it again.  Her heart skipped a beat.

With a jolt, she stumbled upon her bed. It cannot be true. It was indeed Ethan but why will he contact her? He had not tried to get in touch with her since last twenty years. She had no clue and she didn't hear his name from their common friends much. Ethan was on her mind at times but she had not attempt to find him.

A day was beginning but was it going to be a good for her? She was not sure. This sudden message had upset her. There were questions she yearned to ask him. Too many things she desired to tell him. Most of all, she wished to know why Ethan had disappeared from her life without telling her.

But she did not want to talk this to anyone right now. She wanted to be alone and regard stuff on her own. The past belonged to her and whatever regrets she had, they too.

She wished if she could file these thoughts, put it in a drawer in a secluded part of brain, lock it and lose the key somewhere but did human mind ever work that way?

As soon as Isaac left, Isabelle took out hidden magazine from her drawer. She stole a quick glance at the sleeping figure. There was still an hour before the little girl woke up.

She opened “The Sunday Observer Food Monthly " at once and jumped straight to the article. It said, “If you have a few essential tools and ingredients, sushi isn't too tricky to make at home.”