Chapter 28 : I love you more than you will ever know.

Doorbell rang. Isabelle's heart leaped with hope. Was it her husband who had become aware of her agony and came back?

She just soothed the wrinkles from her tank top and straightened it. 

There was no time to check her hair in mirror. 

She beamed at the thought as she went near the door.

But as soon as she opened the door, her smile froze in its place.

A pair of mellow gray eyes looked at her. They stopped her in tracks.

A man in casual blue sweatshirt and well fitted jeans stood in front of her. He was not very masculine but he wore them well.  Her knees felt weak just by looking at him. By some means, she managed to stand in front of him.

Isabelle blinked her eyes. May be she didn’t see clearly. This yummy looking man was the last thing she needed now. She put her hand on forehead as she prepared herself to face him.

She was a complete mess - sweaty hair, nude, tear stricken face, wrinkled clothes.

But she didn't bother.  Those were the last things on her mind right now. 

With an effort, she found her voice.

“Ethan, what are you doing here?”

He heaved a sigh and scratched his head.

“I just wish I knew that.”

What kind of an answer was it?

She tried again, a bit desperately this time. No way she was letting this man stand on the very ground where she stood right now.

“But you were leaving. You shouldn't be at my door. Don't you remember what happened that day?”

“That's why I am here. What I heard agitated me.”

“I understand but honestly, you shouldn't be Ethan.”

Ethan touched his chest and looked at her.

“I tell the same thing to my heart but it won't understand. Is your husband inside? I would like to have a word with him.”

Oh! So you have come to meet him? That’s good. But Isaac just left for office.”

Even then, he didn’t budge from his place.

Her voice was a pure anguish. 

“Ethan, please leave. I don't want to create more problems in my life now.”

“Alright. If you say so.  But I am unable to stop worrying. Are you okay?”

She drew in a deep breath. 

“My name is Isabelle. Yeah, sort of. Thanks for caring. But you shouldn't be worried. Hell broke loose the minute you entered my life again. So you are responsible for this situation too.”

She was on the verge of breaking down. She was tired of facing the problems alone. Everything was happening at the same time. 

He put his hand on her mouth and stopped her talking.

“All you need right now is a shoulder to lean on Isa.”

Ethan didn’t say a word but just took her in his arms. 

She wanted to protest but didn't have the energy to fight him.

She wanted solace and his arms offered the same thing. 

Isabelle knew the indecency of that embrace but for the first time in her life, she didn't care. He was warm and strong. May be she will absorb a little bit of strength from him. She rested her head on his chest.