Chapter 38 : You've been friend to me.

“I opened the window and my heart. The sun flooded my house and love flooded my soul."

~ Paulo Coelho.

Ethan stared at whirl of colours on her wall.  He went near and paused, observing it closely. The painting had night sky filled with curving, floating clouds. Luminous stars blazed amid bright crescent moon. He forgot to breathe as he kept on staring at the genius artist's swirled brush strokes. His artistic fingers touched the surface and felt vivid colours and distorted forms. In the painting, a small town lied below the hills. His eyes roamed to the centre part of town, which had a tall church, looming largely over the small buildings.

 He turned back to Isabelle.

“Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh. This is one of his most replicated and sought after painting.”

She got up and joined him.

“Where is the original one?”

He filled in.

“It's kept in New York's museum. Do you identify what he has depicted here?”

She moved her head, shaking it from side to side.

“It shows the village of Saint-Remy under a swirling sky. He had painted it when he was in Asylum.” Ethan said.

Her voice was genuinely surprised.

“Asylum? You amaze me with this artistic talk. How much knowledge you have Ethan. I do not recognize you.”

He was ready to offer his full life if she wanted because he was still standing and waiting between realism and the dreams they both had shared once. But he smiled instead.

“It's my hobby and profession both.”

Her gaze was fixed on the picture.

“I didn't know much but Nicky gifted it to me. I like the way these lovely bright colours and big windows ooze peace. It kind of reminds me of my childhood years which were filled with imagination on what existed in the universe.  I love it. I am used to seeing it daily. Please take it out. I want to carry   it with me.”

With that she moved towards cartons and opened one.

She was so near and yet so far. Here she was talking on stars but did she know that she was his whole sky?? A heaven which he had always longed to be a part of? Ethan removed the famous painting and kept it inside. She was holding the box. As she closed it, her eyes filled with tears, he went near her and gently lifted her chin up. His hand touched her shoulder and with a small nudge, he made her look into his eyes.

“That badly hurt, huh? Isa, but you do need to empty your heart. I promise you will be feeling better afterwards.”

Her lips shivered. She turned her weary eyes towards him.

“Isabelle. Call me Isabelle.”

There, finally she had allowed her mouth to curve. But it soon faded away as she leaned on the wall and whispered.

“I am just so embarrassed. I ...I am totally confused. How do I tell you what happened? Where do I start?”

Her cheeks were wet, proof of agony. Ethan just wanted to kiss those precious tears but he couldn’t dare. Instead he bent near her on one knee and stared intently at her.

“It's okay. Sharing it with me won't hurt. Tell me from the starting.”

Ethan held her hand in support, trying to give her strength and courage. The way her eyes appeared teary, he was sure he was not going to like what she had to say.