Chapter 12 : My Heart will go on and on.

Why did cupid never grow up? Because it’s a symbol that love never gets old. Why does he throw arrows to the heart? To remind that true love hurt. Ethan had loved Isabelle without any boundaries. He had always hated the spaces in their togetherness. He did not want that kind of love which moved like a sea between shores of their soul. In his imaginations, they had emerged as one, so interconnected and intertwined that there was never any separation. But now he was at a complete loss against the boundaries set by time, between them. The problem with Isabelle was, all her life; she had taken on the world's hurt as if she herself was responsible for everything. Sometimes, she did not even realize where other people ended and she began. Did the girl ever live for herself? The steel walls she had built around her heart were like a shield to protect from further damage. Will he be able to break through and get a glimpse of who she was from inside? Was not she sick of it? But Ethan had a trust in his love. Little did she know, those walls were not going to keep them apart? He was going to bring her to senses and tear down her defenses.

Ethan just wished, he could have slept some more. At least he forgot about everything for a little while then, provided Isabelle did not evade his dreams. But, it was just three am. He had so many hours before the new day began. He was sure, sleep won't come now.

As he switched on the bedside lamp, his gaze went to Katherine's smiling photo. He picked it up. His little sister was so pretty. Those long hairs fall in soft waves and touched her small waist. Her big, doe eyes looked innocently at world. They were so full of trust and amazement. Beneath her pert nose, her lips curled in a smile forming a dimple at the corners. She was a very easy child.

How much he loved her.

His nostalgic mind brought back another memory, one which he always longed to forget.

**

He and Katherine were in the park. She was playing with her friends. They all were running here and there like a blustery, gusty, turbulent wind. He was just marveling at their energy and innocence when he noticed her red face. She was panting a lot. He rushed to her at once.

"Hey kido, slow down. What happened?" Ethan had never seen Katherine that way and he was concerned.

She tried to open her mouth to reply but no words came out of it. All he could hear was the heavy coughing. He did not like the way she looked so he lifted her off the ground and ran home. By chance their father was home that day. Their mom was nowhere to be seen. By looking at the empty bottle lying on the kitchen platform, Ethan did not have to think much. Mom was not going to be of any help as usual. When he saw him carrying Kathy, his father did not waste any time in questioning and dialed their family doctor's number. Katherine was still coughing and now she was bit breathless too.

Dr. Stevens was there in 15 minutes.

He examined her and straight away put her on inhaler. Katherine had to inhale the medicine through steam. Her breathing slowly became normal and a little colour returned on her pale face but Ethan did not like the sound of her breathing. That noise was scaring him. All he had was family and he wanted to protect it.

"Looks like an allergy attack. There might be something in air; which made breathing passage narrow. Do not worry, she is a strong girl. She will be alright in few days." Doctor explained to her father.

"But my daughter didn't have one before. She is a fit.” Ethan was able to catch a flicker of worry in father's voice.

"I know but she might have inhaled some pollen. Keep her inside till she is not well. Let me know if there is any problem."

Doctor left.

That night Ethan was mood less. The little one was bit drowsy due to the medicine. She did not eat much. Ethan had also lost appetite but somehow he felt that he had to keep his energy so he forcefully gulped down the meal. His mom even didn't come out for dinner. He wanted to go and check her but the sight of her in that state depressed him and tonight he had a lot to deal so he didn't dare to go.