Chapter two

My alarm blared through my room as my eyes fluttered open. Waking up at the ass crack of dawn for eight years, you would think it would be easy. But it wasn't. As much as I wanted to sit in my bed, contemplating my life decisions as to what led me to this life, I couldn't.

I pushed myself up, planting my feet firmly on the floor. The first thing I did was take a shower. "Hopefully that'll keep me more awake." I thought to myself. Once I finished getting ready, I began packing my things. My uniforms, weapons, and tactical gear. I let out a sigh as I looked at the fully packed duffle bag.

I felt a pang in my heart, knowing that I had to leave the base I had grown so familiar with. I had to leave my squad, and I had to leave Ace.

The sound of knocking on my wooden door snapped me from my thoughts. My combat boots thudded against the wooden floorboards as I swung the door open, revealing no one other than Ace. A sad smile formed on his friendly face as he looked down at me. A saddened expression formed on my face as I tried my best to force a smile.

"I came to see you before you left," said Ace. I pulled him in for a bear hug, my arms wrapped tightly around him.

"Don't forget about me." I joked slightly, trying to lighten the mood. "The girl who kept kicking my ass in training? How could I ever!" He joked back, picking the duffle bag off the ground and putting it on my shoulder. "Show that new task force how you kick ass." Ace looked down at me as if he were a proud father. "Roger that soldier." I stepped past him, making my way to the chopper where Captain Price would await me.

He stood by the chopper, his hands folded neatly in front of him. With each footstep, I could feel my heart yearn for my base. To go back to my squad and lead them on one last successful mission and share a round of beers afterward.

But that was gone now.

I boarded the chopper, Price at my heels. "You ready?" Price asked me. As badly as I wanted to say no, I knew I had to put my big girl pants on and deal with it. "Yes sir," I told him.

The plane ride felt long and excruciating. The sadness eventually subsided as curiosity settled in. I wondered who my new comrades would be. Would they be friendly? Would they judge me since I was new?

More questions piled into my head and before I knew it, the chopper had begun lowering to the ground. "We're here." Price informed the obvious.

Once the chopper safely landed, Price jumped down to the grassy area. He grabbed my duffle bag for me as I hopped down myself. Three men stood in front of me. One out of the three men wore a black cloth mask with a skull imprint on it. The other two seemed friendly as they introduced themselves as Soap and Gaz.

"This here is y/n, but her call sign is Knives." Price introduced me. "And that man with the mask, that's Ghost." Price told me.

Ghost peered down at me, his frame much larger than mine. Turning around, he stormed off. "Not one for introductions, huh?" I asked, joking slightly. Soap and Gaz let out a bellow of laughter as Soap threw his arm over my shoulder. "I like the lass!" His Scottish accent was thick and friendly.

I laughed as Soap dragged me along with him to the house in which we stayed at. Suddenly, the sadness and nervousness I had felt completely subsided. Soap and Gaz made it seem like fun here as they rambled on with their childish humor. It seemed nice being here.

I sat in the rec room, writing in my journal. Although the couch was a little uncomfortable, it was bearable.

The sound of heavy footsteps retreated to the rec room as I shifted my gaze from my notebook to the man, who I quickly recognized to be Ghost.