Chapter eleven

"Let's go! Let's go!" Price commanded as we piled into the chopper. I took my seat between Ghost and Gaz since neither of them wanted to take the middle seat. This time, Graves would be accompanying us on the final shipment.

I would be a liar if I said I wasn't uncomfortable with his presence. But so many other thoughts seem to flood my mind. This was the final shipment and all we needed was Andrei. I knew that once all of this was over, Ace and I would head back to America. My leg moved up and down at a quick pace as I remained deep in thought.

I felt a heavy hand on my knee, stopping me from moving it. I looked at the gloved hand with a white skeleton hand printed on it. "You alright Sarge?" Ghost asked me. The last thing I wanted to do was bring up the topic of my leaving soon. So instead I said, "Fine," and kept my gaze on my boots. I examined all the scuff marks and creases due to how long I've had them.

I could feel eyes staring intensely at me and I knew that those eyes belonged to Ghost. I looked over to the left side of me to see him staring down at me. "It's really creepy when you do that," I told him. Ghost didn't say anything but instead continued to stare.

I shifted in my seat, sitting straighter. I knew exactly what Ghost was doing- he was trying to figure me out. I felt my lower abdomen through my thin shirt, feeling the small scar where I had gotten shot. Only days ago I had my stitches removed. I felt thankful that I wouldn't have to feel stitches tugging and pulling at my flesh with each small movement I made.

The sounds of the helicopter blades cutting through the air filled my ears. I put on my headset, drowning out the noises. I could hear my comrades much easier and Price went over the plan. This time, I would be out on the field along with Gaz, Soap, and Graves.

My hand tightened around my gun as I leaned back. This time, I didn't feel the adrenaline. I felt sick to my stomach. Thoughts distracted me from the main priority and I knew I needed to get my head back in the game. The helicopter ride felt like forever. The squad had conversations but I remained silent.

What if Andrei was there and we kill two birds with one stone? Then I would have to leave for America first thing tomorrow. I couldn't leave Task 141. But I knew my squad would be patiently waiting for me back at base. I wanted to so badly bitch slap myself for allowing myself to get attached to these guys. For building such a close bond between Soap and Gaz. But most of all, I was so angry at myself for falling for Ghost.

Mainly because I knew he would never feel the same way back. But also because I knew that in the end, I would leave. "We're here." Price's words weighed heavy on my chest. I bit the inside of my cheek and hopped out of the chopper behind Gaz.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, pulling me back. I came face to face with Ghost. "We can talk about why you're acting strangely later. But for now, put your head in the game." Ghost spoke sternly as he stared down at me through his skull mask. I questioned myself whether it was a real skull that he was wearing or not, but thought it best to keep the question to myself. "Roger that L.T.," I said.

I turned quickly on my heels and caught up with Gaz and Soap. Graves walked a few feet ahead. Soap scanned the drop spot through his binoculars. "I've got eyes on a metal crate." Soap spoke in a hushed tone through the comms.

"Eyes on the prize. Over." Price told us. We waited patiently for Price's command. Each second felt like minutes and each minute felt like hours.

I felt as if I ate for a family of five and then just rode on a rollercoaster. I felt as if I would puke any minute. "You alright Sarge?" I heard a voice in a low whisper ask me. I turned my head to see Graves knelt beside me. I nodded my head slowly. "I'm great," I told him.