five. it lives in me

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language.)

"and it's just around the corner, darlin'. because it lives in me"
peace by taylor swift

The market was busy, swarming with people running their errands in their own little world. They didn't even blink an eye at the duo weaving through the street. A blonde girl pausing to look at every stall, like a puppy. And a raven haired boy with a crow head cane, in lock step with her never letting her leave his sight.

Malakai smiled brightly as children ran past, giggling and calling out to one another. The smell of freshly baked treats filled the air. She savoured the feeling of not having to hide her identity. Pausing at a stall filled with colourful origami animals, Malakai marvelled at the intricate designs, carefully picking up a bright blue butterfly.

"Come on, Malakai. No detours remember." Kaz called out behind her. Smiling at the woman behind the table, she placed the butterfly back down and continued down the street.

Hearing the faint sound of bleating, Malakai turned around to Kaz who was following a few steps behind. "Found the goats!"

A small smile creeps onto the tall boy's face as he watches her practically run to the goats. Standing next to her, they both stare at the pen full of the small animals. Malakai grins, her chest rising and falling in excitement. She looks to Kaz for reassurance.

Nodding towards the goats, he looks back at her.
"Go on then."

Malakai clapped her hands, stepping forward to choose. She eyes each goat carefully to make sure she made the right choice before picking a white and grey one from the flock. Turning to Kaz for his approval. He raised his eyebrows at her and tilted his head slightly. She nodded in response. Without a second thought he hands the stall owner the money.

Heading back to the meeting point, Malakai holds the goat in both arms, pulling it closer to her chest. His fur was soft against her hands.

They pass a makeshift stage where a well dressed man stands speaking to a crowd of people. A demonstration. Pushing through the crowd Malakai and Kaz stood at the front, listening.

"They want you to believe that the Sun Summoner has been found to finally tear down the wall that divides us. How many times have we been fed a story like that? And how many times have we in the West been told to send our sons and daughters through the Fold for another year?"