eighteen. give me a reason

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language.)

"stood on the cliff side screaming, give me a reason. your faithless love's the only hoax i believe in"
hoax by taylor swift

Waiting for Jesper's return with the sword, the teenagers all stood quietly outside of the home in the pale morning light. It felt somber and calm, casting a blue haze over everything as the sun pulled it's way over the horizon. Even the sun seemed exhausted. Malakai had her head down, kicking rocks between her boots, when Jesper shoved the sword into her arms.

"Sankta Neyar wants you to carry it for the journey."

She nodded, taking the sword from him, carefully slinging it behind her back, watching as he runs after Wylan. The rest of the teenagers followed, smirking as the gunslinger and the demolitions man share a moment.

"Everyone's lost their mind." Kaz shook his head incredulously earning an annoyed look from Malakai, who walked in lock step with him.

"We all did in there."

He stopped walking to face her. "Maybe I did see something, through the haze of the poison" She tilted her head at him in question. "There are those who drown us, and those who pull us out."

Malakai smiled, gently flattening out the lapels of his coat. "Maybe I saw something too."

"And what did your toxin trip reveal to you?"

"That not only does losing something make you see clearer. Loving something does too."

"And do you see clearer, my Malakai?" He cradled the side of her face in his hand, searching her eyes for something to hold on to.

"Yes. Yes I do."

Malakai stood at the Hummingbird's railing, sighing as the fort became clearer and clearer in the distance. And so did The Fold.

"Are you okay?" Kaz appeared beside her, looking at the side of her face. She glanced at him from the side, tilting her head away from his gaze as she felt tears prick in her eyes.

"I'm really scared."

Kaz frowned and reached his hand forward, pulling her head into his chest.

"You'll be okay. And you won't be alone. The girls will be with you. Nina, and Zoya, and Inej. Alina too."

She craned her head up to look him in the eyes, her own glistened with tears. "That's not what I'm scared of..."

"Then what is it?" He whispered.

"What if we were wrong? What if there is a price to pay?"