six. light years

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language.)

"you feel light years away"
fault line by gracie abrams

Malakai sat quietly at the bar sipping at a glass of water. She did everything in her power to avoid the eyes of her friends who stood around her. She felt out of place, like a circus animal. The room felt too small. She wanted to run far, far away. The group found themselves in a tavern in Kribirsk. Warmly lit. People cheered at a performance.

"So... Shadow Summoner huh?" Malakai met Jesper's eyes before quickly looking back down at the still water in her cup. She could see her frown lines in the reflection. "When were you gonna tell us? Would've been useful to know before we threw ourselves into the Fold."

Without looking back up, her blonde waves falling across her cheeks, she responded. "Kaz knew."

"Yeah, but we didn't. You could've been killed. We could've been killed, Malakai. You're basically a home beacon in there."

Meeting the tanned boys eyes again, she stayed silent for a moment. "Don't you think I knew that? Trust me, I knew the risk. But I just thought that... I thought that it would okay. Because I crossed the Fold once before. I was wrong, I know."

Inej spoke. "Your powers would have been helpful you know? In all our missions and heists. Why did you hide it?"

"I actually did use it sometimes. To make sure you would all get away safely. Blending you into the darkness." She sighed slowly. "I didn't want anyone to know that I'm... that I'm this monster. I saw the way you all looked at me on the train."

Daisy held her hands out, darkness creeping down from the ceilings. The little girl watched in amazement as the shadows moved at her will. Cupping her hands, a small ball of dark mist danced around her fingers.

Then, a voice, from the now open doorway. Light fighting against the dark. A man she called Sir stood watching the small girl with wide eyes. He had been the nicest of all her owners. He cared for her, bought her toys and nice dresses. He saved her. He was the closest thing to a father that she ever had.
"Who are you?"

Putting her hands down, the darkness dissipates. "I'm Daisy." She answers confused.

Sir kneeled to the floor, pulling at her wrists harshly. He grit his teeth, saliva sprinkling onto his beard. Daisy's heart pounded. "No. What are you?"