fourteen. want blood

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language.)

"you want blood and i promised, i'm a bad liar with a saviour complex"
saviour complex by phoebe bridgers

Malakai's stomach grumbled as she entered the small cafe, silently slipping into the booth Jesper and Inej were already sitting in. The two were huddled in close, speaking in low voices. The Shadow Summoner leaned back in her seat, melting into the safe sanctuary of her hood.

"It's worse today."

"Worse how? We had to sleep on that novice's floor. This body deserves a proper bed."

"Word is we also killed a constable."

Malakai was brought out of her daydream by this, leaning forward too. "What?"

"I have so many questions. How? Why? Who? Where? When?" The gunslinger paused in thought. "I guess... Yeah I guess that's all of them."

"Last night, after you both escaped from the wagon to Hellgate. Constable Sem was his name. Shot down with his own weapon. Stadwatch are shaking down every informant they know."

"I would never shoot someone with their own gun."

"This is a terrible frame-up. Messy. Off the cusp."

"Have either of you seen him today?"

"Avoiding questions, I suspect."

"Yeah from all of us." Jesper shook his head in disbelief. "Blowing up the Crow Club..."

"Makes you wonder what else he's willing to destroy."

"My entire life apparently."

The Wraith and the gunslinger turned their focus to the cloaked girl. "What did you guys talk about last night anyway?"

"You don't have to answer that, Malakai." Inej shot the tanned boy a glare.

"He blew it to splinters just to prove a point. We're not his team anymore. We're just pawns in his own game." She turned at the sound of the bell ringing above the door. Followed by the sound of clicking against the floorboards. "Speak of the Devil."

Nina and Wylan slipped in beside Inej. Malakai pushed herself up against Jespers side as Kaz took a seat beside her, confining himself to the edge.

"You made sure none of you were followed?" Kaz asked the Crows.

"Always."
"Of course."
"Oh, please."

Wylan's knee knocked against Malakai's by accident. She gave him a small smile which he returned.

"Ooh. Is this place still serving breakfast?" Nina asked, taking the menu in her hands to inspect it.