seventeen. epiphany

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language.)

"only twenty minutes to sleep, but you dream of some epiphany"
epiphany by taylor swift

Malakai sat with Inej above the tea shop, watching carefully as Nina and Kaz talked to Ohval.

"Anyway, our contact mentioned that since The Disciple's retirement, he had periodically parted with some of his personal collection."

"You're looking for something specific."

"The Neshyenyer" Kaz got straight to the point, wasting no time in letting her know his intentions.

She turned her head abruptly. "The Neshyenyer is at Ahmrat Jen."

"From what we understand, that one's a fake."

"I wouldn't know anything about that" Ohval signalled to a waitress to bring more tea to the table.

Nina shuffled in her seat, sitting up straighter. "What if we told you The Disciple could name his price?"

"I'd say you have a surprising amount of disposable income..." She looked between the two, her smile fading. "For thieves."

The Heartrender chuckled nervously. "We're not thieves, we're, we're just collectors."

"I've worked with enough thieves to know them when I see them. If you want the blade, you'll have to steal it from Ahmrat Jen." Ohval quickly stood.

As Kaz stood to follow her, a waitress bumped into his chest, spilling tea all over him. Malakai immediately leaned forward as she watched the woman's hand graze his and, almost immediately, he began to panic. His breathing becoming ragged.

Nina's eyes furrowed, placing her hand over his. "Brekker. Brekker, just breath."

But Kaz quickly turned away, pushing his way out onto the street. Malakai immediately turned, rushing to the other side of the roof. Scanning the busy and bustling town of people like a hawk, she spotted him stumbling around. People complained and yelled out as he crashed into them, pushing them away from him. He was lost between the past and present. Malakai jumped down and wrapped her arms around him, slowly pulling him out of the street to sit in a doorway. He gasped as he hit the ground, his eyes frantically searching for hers.

"You were supposed to follow her, Malakai." Kaz growled, out of breath. He gripped his cane tightly to his chest for comfort, his knuckles turning white.

Malakai furrowed her eyebrows in anger and confusion, kneeling beside him. "I wasn't going to leave you, Kaz. Not like this... And Inej is following her as we speak." She held his gloves out to him, which he gratefully took.

"Thank you." Kaz's voice still shook from anxiety as he quickly pulled the leather over his hands.

"Of course. Are you okay?"