nine. keeping score

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language.)

"you knew you won so what's the point of keeping score?"
hoax by taylor swift

Malakai stumbled and lost her footing as a Heartrender, Ivan, dragged her into a tent by her shackles. Her hands were confined in the metal and she could feel her ring digging harshly into her finger. She writhed as he dragged her across the floor.

"Let me go, you bastard! You're really going to treat the general's daughter like a prisoner?"

The Heartrender secured her shackles to a bolt on the floor. Leaning down until their faces were only inches apart, he held her by the collar. His hot breath fanning across her face. "This was the general's orders. Just in case you have any ideas of escaping." Before roughly shoving her away.

"Hmm... What's this?"

Malakai turned to look as the man reached down to the floor. Gasping as he took the bright blue butterfly into his hands. It must have fallen out of her pocket. Pushing herself up from the ground she rushed forward, but her shackles held her back as she jolted from the sudden tension. The metal ripped at her skin. Malakai's eyes glistened with tears as Ivan smiled at her reaction.

"This means a lot to you doesn't it, little bird?"

The girls heart ached at the thought of Kaz. She had promised to find him but she wasn't so sure she could keep that promise anymore. Her words shook as she begged quietly. "Please... Please. You've taken everything else from me. I have nothing left. Just- just let me keep it. Please."

She looked to him in fear when a maniacal grin rose onto his face. "Fine." Ivan laughed as he ripped the paper butterfly in half, discarding it carelessly on the floor.

"No!" Malakai tugged against her shackles, sinking down to her knees. Tears dripped down her cheeks as she stared at the butterfly just out of reach. They took everything from her. Kaz's coat. Her blade. And now this. "No..."

Crawling across the floor she stared down at the chains bolted to the floor. Slamming her hands down against the chain in an attempt to break free, she shouted angrily. But, of course, Malakai knew that it was a lost cause. The shackles were Materialki made. They were made for her. To keep her from using her powers. To keep her from going home.