eight. sleepless night

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language.)

"my twisted knife, my sleepless night. my winless fight."
hoax by taylor swift

The four Crows watched in anticipation as the lock of the box began glowing a bright orange. Then, it popped out, clinking as it rolled against the cobblestone. Kaz and Inej's eyes widened as the Shu girl sat up from the open lid. Malakai and Jesper weren't lying. Jumping down, Alina looked between the teens with her hands out in surrender, she eyed the gun in Jesper's holster and the blade tucked against Malakai's hip.

"We don't want any trouble." Jesper shook his head.

Alina's shoulders hunched as she slowly inched away. "Neither do I, so I'll just be on my way." But before she could make it far, a wall of dark mist stopped her. She turned warily to the blonde girl, who only tilted her head. The Sun Summoner felt a jolt of fear in her chest. Another Shadow Summoner?

As if she could read the Sun Summoner's brain, Malakai spoke quietly. Her airy voice calmed Alina immediately. "I'm not here to hurt you."

"Clearly, you want out of East Ravka. We can help you." The Gunslinger held his hand out, Inej nodded in agreement. "We have a secure route through the Fold."

Alina's eyes flicked quickly between the mismatched crew. She breathed heavily. "I prefer to travel alone."

"Don't be rash. You stick with us, everybody gets what they want."

The Sun Summoner's face darkened as she grit her teeth. "I'm not being anyone's captive ever again. Especially not to a Shadow Summoner." She stared Malakai down. "So step aside and let me pass."

"I'm afraid we can't let that happen." Kaz stepped forward.

The shadows inched closer to Alina, reaching out to her. "I'm not like my father, Alina Starkov."

Then the Sun Summoner threw her hand forward, a burst of light searing the air. Malakai's wall retreated immediately, the girl turning to look away. When they turned back, Alina Starkov was gone. The Wraith stared dumbfounded down the street.