seven. you know me

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language.)

"and if you find me, will you know me?"
georgia by phoebe bridgers

"Kaz, are you sure you'll be okay without your cane?" Malakai asked quietly, noticing him grimacing in pain. The duo rushed down a Little Palace hallway. This place felt familiar, like a distant voice calling her name. But the marble floors, crystal chandeliers and tall windows felt cold compared to their home in Ketterdam. Oh, how she missed the Crow Club.

"I'm fine." They both wore palace guard uniforms, searching for an ambush point. Just as he said this he groaned in pain, bracing himself on the wall.

"Kaz—" The girl reached out to him.

He shrugged her off. "I said I'm fine. Let's just keep going."

She watched him limp away and kissed her teeth in annoyance before following him. She looked down at the small diagram of the palace layout she had copied. Furrowing her eyebrows she looked back up to the empty wall beside her, running her fingers across the intricate wallpaper.

"Malakai. Come on. What are you doing?"

"There's supposed to be a room here but..." She took a step back, looking up the wall. Laying her palms flat, she pushed against it huffing when it didn't budge. Crossing her hands, she slowly pulled them apart but still, the wall stayed flush. The sound of a door slamming echoed through the hallway followed by the rhythmic sound of shoes on the tiles.

Kaz and Malakai turned quickly, pressing their backs against the wall behind a door. Through the gap, they watched intently as a Materialnik grisha opened the door with a flick of her hands. Inside was a brightly lit dressing room. Two matching black and gold keftas draped over mannequins. At the sound of the door opening a beautiful Inferni turned.

The raven haired boy turned to the bright blonde girl next to him, an eyebrow raised. She squinted back at him.

"Lynx Flush?"

Back in the performance troupe trailer the crew met again, sitting around the palace blue prints.

"I'm telling you, she's part Shu." Jesper looked to Kaz. They all tilted their heads at this.