ten. with you

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language.)

"with you, i serve. with you, i fall down."
epiphany by taylor swift

Not so quiet whispers and gasps erupted from the crowd of people and Grisha as they passed. Malakai trudged along behind the Sun Summoner and General Kirigan, Ivan pulling harshly at the shackles that still bound her. She kept her eyes trailed on the backs of their heads, not daring to look anyone in the eye. She felt ashamed, embarrassed to be shown to the world like this. Dark circles under her eyes indicated a night of unrest and tears stained her cheeks. The skin around the edges of the of the muzzle had turned red from the friction. Her messy appearance was juxtaposed by the black silk kefta they had forced her to wear, bullet proof, in case anyone had any crazy ideas. The details along the fabric almost shined in the sunlight. Malakai hated the fact that she wore the colour of her father. Of course, she had worn full black before. But that was when she was the Phantom. A protector. Not a Shadow Summoner and a prisoner.

Finally moving her eyes away from Alina and Kirigan, she looked around at the crowd of people they were walking through. The last ounce of hope in her searched for a familiar face, anyone. She sighed in defeat. She was alone now. They stared and whispered to each other.

"Who is she?"

"She has the Lantsov hair."

"She wears the general's colour."

"That's Kirigan's daughter."

"A Shadow Summoner?"

"Why is she here?"

"So the rumours are true? She's the princess."

Suddenly, she lurched forward as Ivan yanked at the chains. She glared at him and sped up her pace. Malakai had spent the last three years of her life in darkness. Hiding in her hood. Walking only on the shadowy rooftops of Ketterdam. On the rare occasion she did find herself on the streets, she could take her hood off and blend into the crowd. No one would give her a second look. No one knew who she was without her armour. But now, everyone knew. She had never felt more vulnerable. Like a zoo animal. The sound of fingers tapping against the glass of her enclosure. She refused to let them in.

"Hurry up!" Ivan gritted his teeth as he pulled her onto the skiff.

Above them, the Fold loomed ominously. Harsh against the bright blue sky. Thunder rumbled and the sound of Volcra echoed somewhere deep in the abyss. Malakai swallowed at the sight of it.